We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

hdd mystery blowiing fuses

shauny36

Likes # 0

have got a samsung 1TB usb hd with all my saved stuff on. i went to use it the other day and the white power light blinks, so removed hd and put it into a caddy but no power light but when i take the hd out the power light comes on. so pluged it into yhe sata lead in my tower and when i switched it on it blew the fuse. can i retrive my data or test my drive. please help.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Hope you have the data stored somewhere else because blowing fuses sounds as if the drive electronics or motor has failed.

Like this post
shauny36

Likes # 0

is there any way to test that.all data is on there, thought it would be safe.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes its probably there but because the drive will not spin there is no way of getting it off.

A data recovery service would replace the drive platters into a new machine in a clean room (very expensive)

you could try buying a drive of the same make and model and try swapping the electronic board and motor yourself

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

An unconvential thought. Remove the HDD and tap it on both sides physically. How hard you hit it is up to you. Sounds like something physically has 'wedged' or is not moveable electronically. If you get it to work (spin) no doubt Windows will see it as a 'raw' format so you will need to use a recovery program to recover your files. No harm in trying.

Like this post
shauny36

Likes # 0

forgot to mension i plugged the wrong adaptor in at the start then after that all this happened.

Like this post
ton

Likes # 0

" i plugged the wrong adaptor in " now blowing fuse.

In that case you have blown something in the electronics and will not work unless it is repaired.

Like this post
shauny36

Likes # 0

is it an expensive fix or can i buy a pcb and do it myself.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I doubt if you can buy the PCB however as I said earlier you can buy a driver of the same make and model and swap the parts over but no guarantees

Like this post
Sparkly

Likes # 0

Hi shauny36 found this on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoU_xet0sVI i know its american but you might be able to track something down in this country. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=wRkFDFguT5A&NR=1 Fruit Bat /\0/\ is useually on the ball with advise and things, but worth a peek.

Like this post
shauny36

Likes # 0

have benn on samsung site and came across this. http://datacent.com/datarecovery/hdd/samsung/HD103SI+1TB

where do i stand if they know there is a fault with the drives.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback