We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless headphones for PC

toogie
Resolved

Likes # 0

My wife listens to the digital radio using cordless headphones and a transmitter plugged into the radio via a jackplug. Can this headset/transmitter be used to listen to music from our PC which is on WiFi and if so how do I set it up? If not what equipment do I need? I am hoping to surprise her with this facility for Christmas so would be grateful for any advice. Thanks

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

I would have thought that the transmitter unit and the headphones' built-in receiver would simply emulate a cable connection, in which case it should work just as well when plugged into the PC's sound output jack (usually "green").

Simple answer - "try it and see" (when wife isn't around).

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

No your PC wifi will be a totally different frequency.

However you can listen to the PC from another room in the same way as you do with the Digital Radio, just plug the transmitter into the speaker jack or headphone jack of the PC.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"No your PC wifi will be a totally different frequency."

I thought OP was asking if the cordless headphones could be used to listen to music from the PC instead of from the digital radio, in which case where does WiFi which is an ethernet emulation come into it?

Like this post
toogie

Likes # 0

Thanks, I tried the jackplug in the green output jack and it worked fine. In the meantime I have looked around PC World and have seen wireless headphones that come with a USB device (like a memory stick). Does this work as simply as it looks i.e. just by plugging into USB port and the wireless headphones picking up the transmission ?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

usb wireless headphones like this transmit from the usb stick

Like this post
toogie

Likes # 0

Thanks all. One last question, probably an obvious answer to you all but I am not sure. Is it likely that our existing wireless headphones would pick up the signal from a USB transmitter or is each transmitter and receiver (headphones) uniquely paired ?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Most wireless headphones have a twin channel button so if they do pick up from the other transmitter then just change channels

Like this post
toogie

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone. As usual all very helpful.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July