We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Joining two PC towers

peterleemaxwell

Likes # 0

Is it an easy task to join two PC towers with one monitor and one O.S.? (Windows 7) Any help appreciated.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Each tower would need its own operating system. You could then use a KVM switching device, which can be obtained from most computer parts supply places.

Like this post
peterleemaxwell

Likes # 0

Thanks spuds.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I have 2 towers connected to my Monitor/TV.One by hdmi and the other by vga and just change between the 2 by using the TV remote.

Obviously there must be easier methods but that works for me.

I suppose a wireless keyboard and mouse would be best for me.

Mind you not sure what connections you have with your monitor.

I very seldom run both at the same time only when needed.

Like this post
peterleemaxwell

Likes # 0

Could I ask what a 'crossover' usb cable would allow me to do?

Like this post
peterleemaxwell

Likes # 0

Could I run one tower one monitor but gain acess to the other tower?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Is each Tower connected to a Wireless Modem Router by Ethernet cable? ie both can access Internet?

If so, each can remotely access the other with Logmein or Teamviewer.

If you don't have a router, you would use a Crossover Ethernet Cable between each one's network port. (RJ-45)

-x-x-x-

Not sure if above apps work with Xover cable setup.

Another app called TightVNC should do. Install TightVNC Server and Viewer on both Towers.

Setup is a bit fiddly and manual.

You need to know your local addresses. eg 192.168.1.xx on each machine.

Open a cmd prompt and type ipconfig to find out each ones addresses.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi

I setup a home network which consists of desktop (Windows 7) and a laptop (vista). Naturally they can both acces the internet via the modem. The desktop via either/or an ethernet cable and the laptop wirelessly.

I then decided to stream from the desktop to the TV via my xbox 360 it was fine. So I decided to go one step further and wirelessly connect the laptop, remotely to the desktop directly via the modem.

That was a failure. My desktop could/can connect to my wifes laptop (when it's on) and see everything on it and use it. but my wife's laptop can't see or use anything from mine, neither can it use the scanner or printer.

This is because both PC's have to be Windows 7.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

Quoted:" Is it an easy task to join two PC towers with one monitor and one O.S.? (Windows 7)"

Mission impossible? (without breaking Microsoft's UELA)

Quoted: " Could I ask what a 'crossover' usb cable would allow me to do?"

I know what an ethernet Crossover cable can do but a USB Crossover cable? :)

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

peterleemaxwell

As I said in my other post...

"This is because both PC's have to be Windows 7."

But that doesn't apply if you use a 'USB2.0 Easy Link/Network Cable'. It's a true plug and play, no driver needed.

The USB 2.0 Link and network cable, provides Host-to-Host Networking and linking solution for two or more USB hosts of PC /Notebook, Designed with the proprietary power-saving technology and auto detecting and switching method between USB High-Speed (HS, USB 2.0 interface) and USB Full-Speed (FS, USB 1.1 interface) *the cable enables the host to run under the appropriate speed.

The USB 2.0 NETWORK CABLE provides two software modes for end-user application listed below:

SuperLink mode:

Two independent PC hosts using the USB 2.0 Link and Network Cable can exchange data or information through this proprietary software package as easy as one simple drag &drop operation between the two-computer systems.

Virtual Network mode:

Developed to be an NDIS-compliant solution by emulating a virtual LAN interoperability among peer-to-peer end-users' computers. The VirtualNet provides a single-chip solution for networking two or more computers via their USB ports. It is inherently incompatible to connect two PCs together via a simple USB cable.

Features:

1)Full compliance with USB 2.0 and 1.1 standards

2)Host-to-Host file transfer

3)Data transfer rate: Up to 480 Mbps maximum. 1GB/about 59-sec.

4)No external power and low power consumption

5)No driver needed, Easy plug and play installation

6)Sharing resources, such as printers, CD-ROM, modems, scanners

7)TCP/IP protocol support

8) LED indicator for connection and data transmission status monitoring

9) Cable length: 160cm

System Requirements:

Microsoft Windows 98SE / ME / 2000 / XP / Vista. USB Port (1.1 / 2.0)

Tip: No driver installation required except for the Windows 98 SE.

SOURCE: CLICK HERE

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers