We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SSD Users Preferences

chub_tor
Resolved

Likes # 0

Managed to get myself a Corsair Force 3 90Gb on sale while in the USA, now I have to figure out the best way to make use of it's relatively small size. What do you users out there recommend..... Win7 64 bit OS only? Win7 plus programme files? Obviously not data which will go on my existing 1Tb. I would be interested in what experienced SSD users actually find works best for them. Just for info, I have roughly 40 Programmes listed in Programme Files and a further 100 listed in Program Files (x86), the major ones I use all the time are Office, Serif PagePlus, PhotPlus, MoviePlus and Roxio 2011.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

I would go for OS + pgms (assuming it will all fit). Reason for this is that pgms are tightly bound to Windows registry. If you want to be able to image / restore, it absolutely makes sense to do OS + pgms as one, so keeping them on a single partition is the ideal way to do this.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Batch Is that what you have done? I am seeking practical users advise.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Searching the web I came across this Paragon Migration Software and I wondered if this might be a simple solution to my problem. Anyone tried it or heard of it?

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

chub_tor,

I don't have an SSD. But, like many, I have my HDD partitioned with the system/boot partition consisting of OS+pgms for the reasons I've outlined.

In cases where I've had 2 x HDD, I have had that set-up on one disk and data on another disk. Where I've had 1 x HDD, the HDD is partitioned so that the system partition is as I've explained and data is on another partition. The key point is (in sofar as is practicable) keeping the operating environment (OS+pgms) separate from your own data. This means that in the even of an issue with the operating environment one can restore very rapidly, without having to restore your data. Furthermore, the back-up / restore imperatives for OS+pgms are different from your data. The back-up / restore of OS+pgms tends to be based around a complete "set", but does not necessarily have to be that up to date (as updates can readily be reapplied after a restore). Whereas ones own data needs to be backed up very frequently (depending upon how dynamic it is) as recreating changes can be quite difficult / time consuming and in many cases only fragments need to be restored.

You may also be looking at it from a performance angle. Ultimately this would depend upon the nature of your usage. But I think it fair to say that for most users the grunt dynamic of disk I/O revolves around OS+pgms, so these (rather than your own data) are best suited to SSDs.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

I have the Kingston 96Gb SSD. I run all my programs from this drive. These include Adobe CS5, Lightroom, Microsoft Office and many smaller photo related programs. I also have small amounts af data + a number of large photo files on SSD, but the data and photo files are normally exported to a secondary harddrive each week

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I run a Crucial C300 SSD drive 64 GB. Libra Office, Works, Paint.Net,Security programs (except for Avast), some games etc. are all run from a data SATA drive. I've still got just about 40 GB still free on the SSD. Burning software also on the D drive but creates temporary files on C so a shortcut to the temp folder is handy to delete.

As I don't use hibernation I disabled it and gained about 3 GB on the SSD. SSD Tweaker is a good program but I also tried SSD Fresh, link .

So most of my programs are installed on the Sata drive.

Like this post  
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Thanks to both rdave13 and hssutton, it would seem that my fear of not being able to get my major programmes on the SSD are unfounded, they must be smaller than I thought. However having read the reviews of the Paragon Migrate OS to SSD 2.0 I have splashed out $19.95 and will give it a try. I have a complete clone of my existing 1Tb SATA so if it all goes belly up I can return to that. When I get the download from Paragon and try it out I will let you know how I got on. Once again thanks to all of you for your advice.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

OK 6 hours later and the conversion procedure is over (in total it took about 2 hours). Since then I have been trying to get back to where I was at 10.00am this morning.

As promised the Paragon programme allowed me to migrate both the OS and the various programmes that I have onto the SSD - roughly 68Gb is now on the SSD and I can boot from it. All my programmes and data are also on the 1 Tb SATA drive.

However if I boot from the SSD the result is a desktop that bears no resemblance to my old one, it is basically blank and none of my old startup programmes come up. Nor do I have my old array of "quick launch" programmes appear in the bottom bar. If I launch IE or Firefox I have none of my Favourites, again it is as if they have been installed for the first time. None of these are major and could be rebuilt in time but my biggest issue is that if I click on my User folder on the desktop I get the standard set of folders for Pictures, Documents etc but they are all empty. The data of course is accessible by going into the SATA drive but that is just a hassle and I would like access to them from the "new" desktop. The User file is way too big to go onto the SSD so I somehow need to make my PC look for the User File documents on the SATA "F" drive when I click on the User File on the new SSD "C" drive.

...... or should I just start again with a fresh install of Win7 64bit on the SSD and forget about this Paragon programme? I have used yesterday's clone to get me up and running again in a familiar environment. Any suggeations welcomed.

ps one final point - what is the advantage of changing to AHCI? The SSD drive seems happy in both IDE and AHCI mode.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I did have a look at this, SSD setup and the Paragon Migrate program (gengiscant kindly posted when it was free) but went for a fresh install instead. Backed up everything, mail, bookmarks and docs etc. Doing it the simpler way I created folders on the data drive, such as Music2, Photos2 etc and every program I then installed I created a folder on the data drive and installed there. Most will then allow a desktop icon that takes you to the folder through the desktop or the start 'all programs' list. You should still be able to create a desktop short-cut to the folders via right click.

For example I installed FireFox on the data drive and it shows up on the desktop and 'all programs' list on the C drive. That's how I went about it but I'm sure someone can give some better advice.

Off topic but a good read, hibernate-pagefile I decided to keep the Pagefile as is. It's costing 4GB at the moment, same as the ram, so might change at a later date if I up the ram to 8 Gig.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

rdave13 thank you for those two links, after I have recovered from today's messing around I may well try the first suggestion and go for a clean install. It's just a hassle having to install and re-register all the programmes. As a matter of interest did you set the BIOS to AHCI as suggested on some installation websites?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 release date, new features and compatibility: Free to download from 6pm

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?