We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

vista with service pack 2 - windows update service not running

LAPTOPBABE

Likes # 0

Hi My neighbour has given me his laptop to sort out and I have discovered it is refusing to do any windows updates. It says that the windows update service is not running so cannot update. I have checked as per instructions on the net that the service is set correctly and it seems to be. Does anyone have any idea as to what is causing this. I did find trojan viruses and malware on it and I have got rid of all of that i think.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Like this post
LAPTOPBABE

Likes # 0

Sorry i should have said i have tried this and it comes back as there is no problem with the update process, it didn't at first, it said there was a problem it couldn't fix but after i got rid of all the viruses etc it said there was no errors, but it is not working.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Go into services and make sure Windows Update is set to automatic.

Also make sure Windows update is set to automatic and not Manual when trying to download updates.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Now found this one but it is for W/7 but may work for Vista.

I would only try it as a last resort if nothing else works.

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/cannot-run-windows-update-on-a-windows-7-pc/

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

You could also try sfc /scannow in command prompt.

or have a look through this to see if anything helps.

http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/218614-windows-update-does-not-work-cannot-even-get-into.html

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more