We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

how do i recover contents of hard drive after it has been formatted

stevediggo

Likes # 0

how do i recover contents of hard drive after it has been formatted

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

If it's your main drive, don't use the computer or as little as possible if you don't have second computer.

Everything you do is overwriting some of the old data.....more

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

You could try this its free but as Robinofloxley points out dont use the disc otherwise you will overwrite what you are trying to recover.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

TestDisk may do it. (Burn a LiveCD).

Easeus Data Recovery will do 1GB for free.

Possibly only useful if, say, you wanted to only get all your photos back.

Recuva may do it.

One problem is you may just get lots of fragments back.

Proper Recovery software costs money.

I wiped my ext drive once. (Factory Recovery with it plugged in, and I went out).

I never did get my data back, but fortunately it was still on main drive. Lost all my movies though, which I don't back up.

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

It depends how you (assuming it was you) came to format the drive. If you describe what you did/what happened, we may be better placed to advise how to recover the disk.

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

Recuva should work as Bris explains.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

These may be of help with the added advantage of not installing,i have a few but have never needed to use them.

Data recovery

Agree with bjh more info needed.

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

daz60

...particularly as we don't know who formatted the disk, and why.

Like this post
samsun24

Likes # 0

If you would like to recover files from formatted hard drive, try advanced File Recovery Tool that guides you in recovering deleted or lost files from hard drives, flash memory cards, USB drives, fire ware drives, etc. Download the free trial version and check for the recovery results.

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

If you have a large enough seond drive or an external drive to recover the data on you should try http://www.pcinspector.de/default.htm?language=1 I have used this free software very successfully to recover deleted wedding photos.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more