We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Orange ISP & Belkin Modem

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Windows 7

I have an Orange ISP & Belkin Modem mid afternoon yesterday my modems connection to the Internet ceased for around 3 hours. then came back on? In the meantime I considered various things I could do to try to get it going again. Initially I unplugged and replugged the power lead. Then I did the same with the telephone lead. Even though the telephone was working fine.

All the lights accept one on on my modem, were on and flickering. The one that wasn't on, was the one that connects me to the internet. I managed to restrain myself from doing anything too drastic.

I have other PC's not connected to the belkin wireless. They have internal modems. I decided to wait till today and if nothing had changed I would have plugged one into a monitor and attempt to connect to the Net that way.

But after some 3 hours I checked the modem and it had spontainiously come back on?.

Anyone have any idea what happened?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I am with Pipex / Talk talk. I Have a Belkin Share 300 wireless n modem / router. It does sometimes disconnect but the auto fix in Windows usually cures it. I spoke to the ISP when it was a bit persistent. Turned off PC and router, then turned on router first then PC. They reckoned it may be to do with having a fixed IP address and reccomended turning the router off for a while each day. I do not do this as often as I have a Vonage broadband telephone linked to the modem.Turning the router off for a while seems to fix it most of the time but it is annoying.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

john bunyan

actualy it quite often loses the signal, sometimes when my wife joins our home network with her laptop. i've always thought it had something to do with the fact that we can only get 1MB connection here. But even so, pulling out the power lead for around 30 seconds has always fixed it in the past.

This is the first time since I bought it, some 4 years plus ago that it didn't work it's magic? From what you're saying - it would seem - that the turning off of my PC for 3 hours - although not the modem - might have done the trick?

I'll have to remember that in case it happens again and hope that does it. Thanx for giving me something else to try before I do anything more drastic.

I always enjoy (NOT) Microsofts help at such times as this. It runs the trouble shooter, tell you that your off line. Then proceeds to tell you that if this didn't help go to 'www.*.com' to find the reason why!! Their 'avin a laugh :)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Orange does seem to be a bit flaky at the moment, I have been with them since the freeserve days and have not seen too many drop outs until the last couple of weeks.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Thanx for your input FB, it makes me feel a bit better about it knowing others are having problems with them too.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

No, not for as long as 3 hours. Just try turning PC and router off, then after a 1/2 minute turn on again - router first.Should not happen very often.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

UPDATE

I have an apology to make to my ISP - 'ORANGE'. I blamed them for my modem's continuous disconecting from the Internet. This wasn't the case at all.

My problems started when I got into online video games. The more I played the more troubles I was getting with loss of signal etc. when my wife was also connecting the problems increased. On a week day I put my PC on at around 8 am, if I play online games and or download software, the modem shuts down mid afternoon. Of a weekend, if both myself and my wife are using the Internet the modem shuts down with a few hours.

I ran a Windows Network diagnostic, this was the verdict...

Issues Found:

'The connection between your access point, router, or cable modem and the Internet is broken.

The Network gateway is accessible, but Windows couldn't receive Network traffic from the Internet.'

My thoughts are that the modem is overheating. I have now mounted a large PC case fan beneath the modem. Hopefully this will surfice until I can get another modem, preferably one with an internal fan, if there is such a thing?

I'm sure one of you guys can point me in the right derection.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...