We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Completely free security software help needed.

uggly

Likes # 0

My friend has a 4 year old laptop given to him and he can't afford any kind of paid-for security suites.It runs Vista but thats all he could tell me.

What are the best completely free security suites that I can help him download to his computer please.

Thanks.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

He has a firewall with Vista but can upgrade to one of the free items shown in Security Downloads if he wants to. Additionally there are free Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware packages shown in the same list along with ratings.

DO NOT install more than one Anti-Virus package or problems will result.

If he would prefer an all-in-one package he could look at the Outpost Security Suite, also free, which covers all his needs.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

AVAST Anti Virus...CLICK HERE

CCleaner...CLICK HERE

Spyware Blaster...CLICK HERE

Super Anti Spyware...CLICK HERE

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Only one of Avast or MSE or Avira (3 common free AVs)

You can have all of the others running alongside it.

Firefox or Chrome browsers (instead of Internet Explorer are popular). You can have any number installed.

I run WinPatrol as well (blocks sneaky extra StartUp programs and changes to HomePage/Search Engine)/junk Toolbars)

A visit to mywot.com for a browser add-on, gives a handy method of identifying 'dodgy' sites. Red,Green or Amber circles appear on Search Results.

The best security is making regular backups. Presumably he won't have an external drive.

Irreplaceable files (photos, home videos, letters, emails) should be backed up to DVDs regularly.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

With Vista use windows built in firewall it is good enough

Microsoft Security essentials OR Avast as the Antvirus both will update automatically when fully installed Avast needs re registering every year but stays free.

Spywareblaster as blocker

Malwarebytes free and or Superantispyware as backup scanners for malware

Like this post
uggly

Likes # 0

Thank you all very much for your kind and helpful suggestions.I will try and persuade him to use a selection of the free ones you've all suggested although I will probably end up installing them for him.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do