We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

No USB & Internet

Scubaman
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have just re-installed windows 7 64bit on a laptop (Dell XPS L501X)of a friend who had got another friend to sort out a problem. What he did was to install Vista over win7! I have re-installed win7 64bit but I am unable to connect to the web or use any USB ports. Under other devices in comp management there is Ethernet, Network, PCI Simple Coms, USB controllers, Other devices listed and they all show 'The drivers for this deivce are not installed.(code 28)' I thought Windows automatically recognised these.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Try Resetting the machine to factory conditions

Dell Recovery Instructions

1. Reboot, and press Ctrl + F11 at the Dell logo.
  2. The Dellâ„¢ PC Restore by Symantec screen will come up.
  3. Select "Restore" or use the Tab key to highlight it and press Enter.
  4. if you wish to continue, click "Confirm", or use the Tab key to highlight it and press Enter.
  5. When the utility is finished, click "Finish", or use the Tab key to highlight it and press Enter.
Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Or use another computer to download the updates from Dell and transfer them to your computer.

Like this post
Scubaman

Likes # 0

When I press Ctrl + F11 the comp just boots normally. If I press F8 there is no option for restore/recover. I am thinking that the HDD was wiped clean when the other person "had a look at it"! I have installed Win7 from a disk I have using the product key from the label on the bottom of the laptop. I have been on the Dell site and when I enter the tag number it gives me a list of drivers to download in a specific order. The problem is that some of the drivers recommended are either not listed or not found on the dell site.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Click Start Search diskmgmt.msc and double click the icon when it comes up.

Can you see a Recovery partition?

Should be around 13GB Primary. (if it is 'hidden' you won't see any more info. Letter, Label)

If you do have one, it can be recovered manually. See my post in a recent thread.

Like this post
mikef.

Likes # 0

If it's like my Dell laptop when I reinstalled the operating system the drivers are on a separate disc which you will need to install them

Like this post
Scubaman

Likes # 0

Thanks all, used another PC to download the drivers. All ok but no backup on the HDD.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow