We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

ide hdd to sata mobo

llollipoppi

Likes # 0

Hi I bought this convertor

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/22651470/-/Product.htmlBut the hdd is not recognised no matter what I try, the convertor has its own power supply which is connected up to the main psu. I have also connected the IDE hdd to power supply and tried all the sata ports.

Not recognised in the bios - any ideas? Has anyone had this issue before?

I'm upgrading a pc for a friend they had limited cash so only got a barebones bundles - i know it would have been esaire just to buy a sata drive.

Any help appreciated folks

Thanks L

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

IDE HDD jumper settings? Should be Master?? Or CS? Or doesn't it matter?

Have other IDE devices been left without a Master??

I must admit I don't really know

Some seemingly useful Googles here

Like this post
llollipoppi

Likes # 0

Hi,

My CD ROM is in the ide on M/B so i'm going to try and take the jumpers out of that and put the hdd into slave as it doesnt currently have any jumpers. Its very frustrating!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If the hard drive is not recognised in BIOS then you need to set BIOS to AHCI

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

These devices are bi-directional and the sata port descriptive names are sometimes not the best?, (I suppose since they are made at very low cost in China this should not be surprising):¬)

It is not clear from your post, if the relevant drive is hard or optical but in either case unless it is a primary boot device there is no need to have it detected by the bios for it to be available from within the windows os

Cheers HC

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia