We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Boot up programmes?

Housten

Likes # 0

Good Afternoon,

I have been having a slow boot up for some time ( with a corresponding snail-like shut down ) and realised the other day that ‘Processes’ in ‘Task Manager’ show what is happening to my computer. My problem is that I don’t understand what all the programmes do, so I went through and made a list of them and then googled them. This helped somewhat – I think – but before doing anything – such as ‘Disable’ the files – I would like to ask for all of your advice and help, and what the files mentioned actually. As well as that another point that came to me was :- is there a file missing?? Does any one think there should be a file on the lists that isn’t there? If so I would like to know what it is and why it is thought to be important! I am presuming that I can – as long as the file is in my root folder – just type the name into Task Manager and it will be recorded. If I have to do something different I would like to know what I have to do.

I have a 4.75 year old desktop machine, and have Windows 7 Home premium 64Bit, with 4 GB of ram. If anyone wants more specific information I will endeavour to get whatever is asked. Having googled the files I think I can delete/disable some through the task manager and I have listed those separately. What I would like would be confirmation of those that I need to have started at boot up, those that could be left and those that can be safely disabled.

Any information/help/advice will be very gratefully received, I can assure you!

Files that can be deleted at boot up ( ?? ) :- ASCTray.exe dpupdchk.exe networx.exe nvtray.exe nvvsvc.exe nvXDSync.exe SmartDefrag.exe taskeng.exe taskhost.exe.

Files that are questionable at boot up :- explorer.exe ipoint.exe winlogon.exe

Files that are necessary at boot up :- avast.exe sidebasr.exe taskmgr.exe

After making completing the lists I had a look at my wife’s laptop – a Dell 1525 Inspiron – with Windows 7 Home premium 64Bit and 4 GB of ram. She has many files that are the same as the ones on my computer and a few that are different. Why?? Who knows!! However one that caught my eye particularly was explorer which is about 8 MB on her machine but over 30 MB on mine!!! I have no idea why there should be such a disparity – does anyone else have any idea as to why? Any way using the same as above the files on her machine which are different from mine are:-

Files that can be deleted at boot up ( ?? ) :- dwm.exe hkcmd.exe helppane.exe igfxpers.exe igfxsrvc.exe PMonitor.exe

Files that are questionable at boot up :- igfxpane.exe igfxtray.exe msseces.exe

Files that are questionable at boot up :- wuauclt.exe

Many thanks in anticipation of any and all help received.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Have a look at blackviper's service configs chart before you start altering anything

http://www.blackviper.com/2010/12/17/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If you are going to disable anything using black Viper always take a note of what you change so that you can change them back if you have problems.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try running a clean boot, you can check non Microsoft services and start-up items. Follow the instructions carefully, Clean-boot

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for your replies. The Boss has decided we are going out today, so I will have to wait before I can use your advice, but be in no doubt, I will use it.

Many, many thanks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...