We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

alternatives to M.S. Office

Markito

Likes # 0

My laptop was supplied with Ability 4 already installed. This is now out of date and I am faced with the alternative of paying for Ability 5 or changing to other software. Since I cannot afford M.S. Office, I have looked elsewhere and have read good reports about Open Office. All my Ability documents has been saved as .doc files, but I can find no clear indication as to whether Open Office - or any other suite for that matter - will open them.

Could I ask you for advice on this and for guidance on the best office suite please?

By the way, I am not interested in producing and handling anything other than word documents. (i.e. I have no use for the equivalents of access, powerpoint, spreadsheets, etc).

Like this post
johnincrete

Likes # 0

Wow! Ability - that brings back a few memories.

Since Open Office is free to download (although it takes time & space) you could download and see if it open your files.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Also:

LibreOffice (ex OpenOffice developers fork)

MS Office 2010 Starter Edition

Like this post
Salut

Likes # 0

Markito, I have used OpenOffice for some while and find that there are very few files it cannot open. I regularly receive files in .doc and .docx format and read them without any problems occurring. You can set OO to automatically save your newly created files in .doc format. Well worth the download, even if you only give it a trial run.

Like this post
Markito

Likes # 0

Thanks guys.

Robin, I'm still on Windows XP Pro, so I don't think the MS Office starter edition is available to me.

I now have a little more confidence to try Open Office, though LibreOffice looks interesting too. So thank you all.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

I would go for the LibreOffice which I regularly put on new machines for people. Once installed you need to go to Tools>Options and under Load/Save adjust the text document settings to MS Office XML formats and similar with Spreadsheets and presentations to the corresponding MS format.

With OpenOffice you will need to download the MS Office Compatibility pack.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Didn't notice Office Starter was Vista/7 only. Thanks.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

I use Libre Office and it does work with .doc files

Also see, http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/helproom/4090719/what-has-happened-to-openofficeorg/

Like this post
Belatucadrus

Likes # 0

Like this post
Markito

Likes # 0

Thanks all.

Unless I hear anything serious to the contrary by close of play tomorrow, I'll download the latest version of Libre Office, which seems to be 3.4.4RC1.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more