We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Using a printer via network and router

RedYelBlu

Likes # 0

I have a Laptop running Win7 via a router and a desktop running XP with a canon printer connected to it. The desktop is hardwired into the router and the laptop is wireless. I’m using Panda Internet Security 2012, Windows Firewall and Defender.

If I want to print something from my Laptop, I’m able to by having the Desktop PC and printer turned on and have the Windows Firewall enabled and the Panda Firewall disabled on both machines. If I have the Panda Firewall enabled on both PC’s and the Windows Firewall disabled, then the printer will not print from the laptop.

I have read that the Windows firewall will automatically adjust settings for the 2 PC’s, but I would prefer to use the Panda Firewall. I suspect that I have to do something in the Panda Firewall settings to use it, so could someone please tell me what settings I have to change? Friends at work have suggested that I have to input an IP address into the settings, but is this the IP address of the router or of the desktop and laptop? Thanking you for any suggestions or help.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

You will probably have to enter the IP addresses of the two computers into the Panda Firewall settings. Better still, if you can, enter the Subnet address. If the router's address is 192.168.1.1 then the Subnet address is 192.168.1.0 with Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Using the Subnet address of 192.168.1.0 allows access to all addresses from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 thus avoiding problems with the PCs getting varying addresses by DHCP.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...