We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 Security

SURVEY
Resolved

Likes # 0

What security do I need for a Windows 7 laptop? Is the Windows Firewall sufficient? I would add Avast AV. Windows Defender or Windows Security Essentials? Anything else?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

SURVEYI agree with Fruit bat, although I an used to (free) Avira as anti virus. Choose youself from MSE (auto update etc), Avast or Avira, only install one nati vius. I have CCleaner as a cleaner on intenet stuff etc and as a mild registry cleaner; Superantispyware and Malawarebytes as malware scanners (prefer SAS)ans Spywareblaster as nalware blocker. I now use the W7 Firewall. My ISP is good at the moment in blocking spam.I would uninstall McAfee, if necessary by using (free) Revo uninstaller, but the windows should do it plus a registry clean with CCleaner.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

sorry about misspelling - my keyboard is hardly readable!!

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I suppose that depends on how much faith you put in Add/remove.I use Revo uninstaller myself. But this bit of software is for the rubbish (bloatware) that comes with a new PC.I have never used it as I tend to build my own PC's and so do not have this problem.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I have to ask the obvious question why remove a pay for Internet security suite just to download a free one.

I have to assume that you have tried McAfee before and you don't like it.

Like this post
SURVEY

Likes # 0

Hi buteman - yes have tried both Mcafee and Norton and haven't been particularly impressed by either as they seem to slow the computer down and both companies seem to a problem when it comes to renewing a subscription

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

You might find this link of interest click here, especially given the previous mention of Avast. MSE seems to get consistently good recommendations albeit I use Avira at the mo (and am very happy with it).

I would defo support the comments about combining your choice with SpywareBlaster and Malwarebytes

Like this post
SURVEY

Likes # 0

SimpleSimon1 - I shall probably give MSE a try first. I have been reading quite a few reviews of it.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

MSE runs fine as long as you have the Anti-Spyware turned off.It may be ok on a new Laptop with W/7 but dreadful on my old computer with XP.

Any anti-virus will do as long as you have a pay for anti-malware program installed which gives you full time protection.

MalwareBytes I believe is a one off payment always best to have that bit extra security.

If you are going to use MSE you will probably need the likes of WOT to help protect you from going into bad sites.

Then you have to ask if MSE is that good why are they not charging for it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features