We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 Security

SURVEY
Resolved

Likes # 0

What security do I need for a Windows 7 laptop? Is the Windows Firewall sufficient? I would add Avast AV. Windows Defender or Windows Security Essentials? Anything else?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Windows 7 firewall is OK one only of the other Anti viruses you mention is also OK (my preference would be Avast) (MSE superceeds Defender)

Use spyware blaster as a blocker and Malwarebytes to check for spy/ malware.

something to check your emails for spam - Mailwasher / Spamihaltor

Like this post  
SURVEY

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat. All noted and use Mailwasher already which I assume is compatible with Windows Mail?

Like this post
SURVEY

Likes # 0

OK. My new Windows 7 laptop arrives tomorrow. Is the general feeling that Avast for the AV program in preference to MSE. Plus spywareblaster. Is that it? Spybot recommended or necessary?? Mailwasher presently used and will continue with that.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Unfortunately most new computers come with trial security programs installed those have to be removed using the proper removal tool before installing Avast.

Now I came across this this morning but I have never used it before so cannot comment on it.But the 4 year free trial seems to sound Ok.

http://www.tipradar.com/giveaway-norman-security-suite-external.html

Maybe some others that have used it could comment on how good or bad it is.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Nope maybe forget that one.Looks like you get problems if you try and remove it so not worth the risk on a new laptop.

Like this post
SURVEY

Likes # 0

My laptop will come with a 'free' 2 year Mcafee suite. However, I do not want it and will remove it. Surely if it is not activated I should be able to remove it with its uninstaller/

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Yes it should remove in programs and features so long as you leave the icon (activating) well alone. Works with Norton as well.

Like this post
SURVEY

Likes # 0

I did read somewhere that it is necessary to activate Mcafee and then it can be uninstalled; not sure I like that idea at all. Hopefully Add/Remove will do the job unless anyone knows differently!

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Use this to remove the bloatware that your new PC will come with.Decrapifier.

Like this post
SURVEY

Likes # 0

Chronus - does this act differmntly to Add/Remove?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...