We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New Desktop

manrow

Likes # 0

For some 6 years I have been using a computer tower containing 4 hard drives, and performing splendidly until the start-up hard drive failed very recently.

What opinions are there on where I go from here? It seems backup is now achieved through external hard drives is that the best option, especially a some new computers now hang everything on the back of the monitor and there doesn't seem room for extra hard drives?

I should add that forthcoming tasks are editing HD videos from a modern camcorder as well as some much older cine film when converted to digital; so is a high speed processor a priority with lots of storage capacity?

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Have a look at a Mac, I have been running Windows for years (Still am on my Laptop) but I bought a new Mac about 3 months ago and I am very impressed. It may not be for you, but worth a look.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

If you are happy with your setup - apart from broken drive - why not just fit new drive?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

The PC's of which you speak that have everything behind the monitor are only a tiny percentage of the PC's on offer today.Most modern motherboards will easily handle 4 or more hard-drives. The only problem you might have is if your hard-drives are all IDE as modern Mobo's have Sata ports with some,maybe having an IDE header on the mobo.

So storage capacity is really only limited in what you can afford given the sharp rise in prices of HDD's recently due to the flooding in Asia.You should also be looking for a decent i5/i7 CPU with Windows 7 64 Bit and a decent amount of RAM.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Most people only have one internal drive.

So, the phrase "backup to external drive" is generally used.

In fact, backup to 'another' drive is perfectly acceptable.

It can be any type internal, external, USB, Firewire, Caddy, Network or just the drive on another computer (with enough space).

As long as the Backup program (or its Restore CD) can see the drive during a restore it's fine.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: Video shows 'new, reversable iPhone 6 cha'......