We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7, or wait for 8?

stlucia2

Likes # 0

I've been away a while, but just before I left I was having a problem with MS Office (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/helproom/4086010/avg-2012-problem/) which seemingly can only be cured by reformatting my HDD and resinstalling everything (unless anyone has found a simpler solution in the meantime).

Anyway, I've stuck with Windows XP all the while, because some of my software and hardware was incompatible with Windows 7, but in recent months I've been updating the old stuff for various reasons, and now I believe everything could run under Windows 7.

What advantage(s) will I see if I update to 7; and should I wait for 8, which I believe will be available shortly? My PC has an Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 4600+ and 3GB RAM.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

Personally I would wait with Win 8 expected next year.It is presumed will not require as much memory and is reputed to make better use of the system As for older programs I have found no problems installing them either to Win 7 or the developer preview of Win 8 useing either compability or adminstrater rights. On the later I did find some problems ( also with Win 7 ) with some hardwear drivers. However I even loaded my trusty epson R265 with out problems

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Unfortunately your click here does not work for me.

You get office removal tools nowadays which should remove it ,Then just a case of reinstalling it.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

IMHO, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Or another way of looking at it, is there anything that you particularly find lacking about XP (and that W7 addresses)?

I have 3 PCs all on XP and see no good reason for me to change. XP is supported (e.g. security fixes) until April 2014 (see MS Support Lifecycle) anyhow. So as long as my hardware lasts (and I don't need a performance upgrade, which might mean purchasing a new PC bundled with W7), I'll stick with XP.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

buteman is quite right Office Removal Kit

Have a look at this, you don't say which version but from your post I thought this might be applicable.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Did you ever run the AVG removal tool.

And if you have windows Automatic updates set automatic turn it off in case it is downloading wrong updates for office.

Usually the 2nd tuesday of every month for updates so best installing them manually.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies. So far as XP goes, I'm happy with it but just wondered whether, since it looked like I'd have to do a reformat and reinstall anyway, I might benefit by going to 7. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" sounds good to me if only I can get over the problem I'm having with MS Office. If that's the case, I'll stick with XP until it's no longer supported.

So, I tried Office Removal Kit, and it removed some files. But since it's 2003 and my MS Office is 2010, it didn't remove my Office. But a bit more Googling and I found MS Fixit 50450, which seems to have done the job. So at the moment I've just re-downloaded Office Home & Student from the MS web site, and it seems to have installed successfully.

The big test will come when I download and install AVG Free again, which was previously clashing with my (presumably) corrupted Office installation, such that Office wouldn't work while AVG (or Avast for that matter) were installed on the PC.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

Ok, so now I can uninstall and reinstall MS Office, which I wasn't able to do 6 weeks ago.

So then I downloaded and installed AVG 2012 Free, and updated its database; and Excel and Word still appeared to work correctly. But after I re-booted my PC (a re-boot hadn't been part of the AVG installation), Excel and Word no longer worked -- I tried them using my desktop shortcuts, and by going through Start > Programs .... After I've uninstalled AVG again, including a re-boot, Excel and Word are working again.

I've just now installed Avast again, and Excel and Word are still working ...

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

... and are still working, even after a re-boot. Seems like some progress, since they wouldn't work with AVG or Avast before. Let's see how long it lasts.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I personally would not buy into a brand new OS until it has had time to iron out the bugs.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...