We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

very slow conection speed and high noise?

chetcity

Likes # 0

Hi i have recently moved into new house and work from home. My VPN drops every 10 mins or so. After looking around, it looks like my internet connection is that slow the VPN keeps getting a no response /timeout. Checked my router and get the following Connection speed 172kbps (down) 281kbps (up) line attenuation 30db (down) 8.5 db (up) noise margin 31db (down) 23db (up) the exchange is actually only 1 mile away

using speedtest.net ping 261ms download speed 0.15mbps upload speed 0.22 mbps

using the same router and same ID on next street (parent house with same provider) get 6 times quicker (admittedly still not flying but would allow me to keep VPN up)

Have router (netgear DG834G v2) connected to master socket with filter. Extention lines are live but currently has no plate/socket attached. So nothing attached to those.

Any ideas?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Hi

Assume you are connected to the main telephone socket? Do you have any other equipment attached to any other sockets in the house? If so remove them and see if this gets better. You will need to have filters on all of your phone sockets that have equipment plugged in.

Like this post
chetcity

Likes # 0

thanks for the reply. but the other sockets dont even have a socket on them yet so cant connect anything to them. so only have the master socket with a socket on it that i can plug into. and have a filter on the master socket.

i upgraded firmware on router which doubled my connection speed at the house round the corner. but made no difference to mine. still 170kbps connection speed. wirless or connected makes no difference to connection speed

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Hi

Have you tried updating the firmware?

You may find this link of use.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...