We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ram Error - 2-2 gig sticks show as only 2-1 gig sticks

HackNSlasher

Likes # 0

As the Title says I have 2-2 gig sticks of memory that are only showing up as 2-1 gig sticks. I have had this problem a while, but it is really aggravating. I overlooked the problem because I was running Win XP x32 and it doesn't allow 4 gigs of memory to be accessed. Plus my mobo (Asus M3A) states that no more than 3 gigs should be used with Win XP x32, but that more than 3 gigs will not be a problem, just not used,

So, I updated to Win 7 x64 to see if the memory would kick in but to no avail. Still only 2 gigs.

I ran the Windows Memory Scan program and have run Memtest which both report no problems.

I also reset BIOS to default values and had already downloaded the latest BIOS from ASUS.

Siw tells me BIOS is seeing some kind of error, I am posting that info here.

Property Value

WJSD-PC

Memory Summary Reported by BIOS

Warning! Wrong values reported by BIOS

Maximum Capacity 8192 MBytes

Maximum Memory Module Size [unknown]

Memory Slots 4

Error Correction None

DRAM Frequency 260.0 MHz

Memory Timings 4-4-4-12 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

Device Locator Slot 1

Manufacturer Patriot Memory

Capacity 1024 MBytes

Memory Type DDR2 (PC2-4300)

Speed 266 MHz (DDR2 533)

Supported Frequencies 200.0 MHz, 266.7 MHz

Memory Timings 3-3-3-9-12 at 200.0 MHz, at 1.8 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)

Memory Timings 4-4-4-12-16 at 266.7 MHz, at 1.8 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)

Data Width 64 bits

EPP SPD Support No

XMP SPD Support No

Device Locator Slot 2

Manufacturer Patriot Memory

Capacity 1024 MBytes

Memory Type DDR2 (PC2-4300)

Speed 266 MHz (DDR2 533)

Supported Frequencies 200.0 MHz, 266.7 MHz

Memory Timings 3-3-3-9-12 at 200.0 MHz, at 1.8 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)

Memory Timings 4-4-4-12-16 at 266.7 MHz, at 1.8 volts (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RC)

Data Width 64 bits

EPP SPD Support No

XMP SPD Support No

The Ram is located in the correct mobo slots (A1&B1).

I guess it should be noted that this memory is not on the QVL for the M3A Mobo, but it appears to be a good brand of memory.

Can anyone help with this? This is last stop before buying new memory, but I am worried I will just see same error even if I buy new sticks....

Thanks.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

You can start by making sure that the timings are correct in the BIOS,either 3-3-3-9-12 at 200.0 MHz, at 1.8 volts or 4-4-4-12-16 at 266.7 MHz, at 1.8 volts.

Like this post
HackNSlasher

Likes # 0

"You can start by making sure that the timings are correct in the BIOS,either 3-3-3-9-12 at 200.0 MHz, at 1.8 volts or 4-4-4-12-16 at 266.7 MHz, at 1.8 volts."

Hi Gengiscant, thanks for your reply.

I checked those settings and manually set them to those parameters (they were already at those values, but were on AUTO)

I tried to update BIOS again, as it might have gotten corrupted somehow, but the ASUS Flash program is not valid for Win 7 x64...the BIOS are AMI, but they only support their own Mobos. I have a call in to ASUS but my guess is that they will tell me Mobo is out of warranty blah blah blah.

So, unless there are any other options for adjusting this memory to work correctly, I am guessing a Mobo and memory upgrade is in order...What do you think? I would like to use the RAM I have if possible, as it is supposedly good RAM.

The board is pretty good for someone like me (on a budget), but maybe it is out of date due to no support for Win 7 x64...

I did buy some new (overpriced) memory from Best Buy, which works correctly (2-2 gig sticks-displays as 4 gigs in Win 7) I will return this memory and get refund, and then look for cheaper/better online.

So I guess somehow the original memory is FUBAR. I don't understand why though. It still works as 2-1 gig sticks...so why would it not work as 2 gig? Weird...

My next decision, it it comes to this, is whether to re-use the original memory as 2-1 gig sticks or just trash them and go with all new RAM.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance,

wjsd

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

To be honest I am not sure how to advise you. The mobo is this? Mobo. And yes there does not seem to be Win 64 support. So it really comes down to budget but there again you could revert to XP and ignore the RAM issue. I am sorry I cannot give better advice,I tend to build new every couple of years and upgrade in between so find it difficult to advice on older components.

I had to look up FUBAR LOL. and I am not sure the RAM is knackered though I would probably just fling it in a draw and buy more because RAM is very cheap at the moment.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Warning! Wrong values reported by BIOS

Had the exact same problem with the latest version of SIW.

So whether a problem with SIW I don't know.

I wonder if anyone else using W/7 could check SIW and Memory to see if they get the same problem.

The only difference was that I was using the 32Bit W/7

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow