We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

JPG corrupted with Grey overlay bars

Rebuilt

Likes # 0

I am having a weird problem problem with JPG's on a memory stick. Just one or two have a grey band that has appeared over part of the picture. It was not there the first time I viewed the picture but it is now persistent - even after moving the JPG to another medium.

For some reason I did try rotating the pictures and this managed to clean up about half of them but, for the other half, I see the original picture as it is being rotated (so it is still there) but the grey band re-superimposes itself. I have tried 2-3 different tools to open the picture without any success. The pictures came from more than one camera.

So I have 2 problems :- 1) How did this occur? I have not modified the pictures in any way (including not rotating them before the problem occurred). I close the memory stick before safely unloading it. It has happened on 2 different memory sticks.

2) How can I fix it? It is clear that the original picture still exists and the banding is just an overlay - but how to clean it up?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Something here for "starters" similar to what you are experiencing. The suggestion is to check the disc for errors enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

More here enter link description here although I am still looking to see if there is a possible fix for you.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

There is JPEG Repair Software here enter link description here although I have no knowledge of it at all.

Like this post
Rebuilt

Likes # 0

Hi Northumbria61: Yes, my corrupted photos look similar to the ones in your first 2 links - but there are differences :- 1) I have done scans of the (solid state) memory sticks and no problems are found. 2) as the photo is being rotated I can see it is all there in an undamaged state before the grey bar overlay is applied.

This gives me some hope it can be fixed but no idea what originally caused it (no InfraRed anywhere around).

I will try the fix software from your third link when I get home tonight.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features