We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fresh start with a new HD...

soulboy
Resolved

Likes # 0

So, my last post was asking what to do about my PC freezing and grinding. I have only just formatted the whole disk and re-installed a fresh XPSP3, but considering I've had about 10 years use from the rather bog standard drive, it's no surprise the thing still wants out! I'm happy enough with XP, I use a lot of music production software/hardware that isn't brand new cutting edge shizzle, so the reliability of XP and being used to 'handling' it, has kept me faithful. When I get my new disk tomorrow, and spend a bit more on (cos I want this one to last 30 years not 10 and would like it to be more efficient) then I should install windows 7, right? or can i transfer the whole lot inc. settings and installed software, then upgrade to windows 7? (I'm also running another old-ish internal drive and two external ones. As explained in my previous post, my motherboard chip and ram etc are all quite recent.) A bit of a crossroads....

Like this post
soulboy

Likes # 0

thanks to everybody who has replied to this vague post! All the replies have been helpful. I am thanking in advance in case it takes me weeks to get back online as I take the plunge. I am about to carry out your advice, fruitbat, I just need a clarification; I am diconnecting both IDE drives, leaving my new Seagate connected in order to install fresh W7 on it, then re-connecting my IDE drives with jumpers set to slave? Am I right in thinking that I will then be able to access the old drives as non-system drives? It won't try to start both at once?

Like this post
soulboy

Likes # 0

thanks to everybody who has replied to this vague post! All the replies have been helpful. I am thanking in advance in case it takes me weeks to get back online as I take the plunge. I am about to carry out your advice, fruitbat, I just need a clarification; I am diconnecting both IDE drives, leaving my new Seagate connected in order to install fresh W7 on it, then re-connecting my IDE drives with jumpers set to slave? Am I right in thinking that I will then be able to access the old drives as non-system drives? It won't try to start both at once?

Like this post
soulboy

Likes # 0

Like this post
soulboy

Likes # 0

Like this post
soulboy

Likes # 0

Like this post
soulboy

Likes # 0

Like this post
soulboy

Likes # 0

Like this post
soulboy

Likes # 0

sorry for multiple post. The other drive had definitely had it, as you can see I had problems submitting that comment! I am using new drive now, is great. When I need to get back ontoi the other two, can I just set the jumpers to slave and leave them plugged in as they are?

Like this post  
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

When I need to get back ontoi the other two, can I just set the jumpers to slave and leave them plugged in as they are?

Yes

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days