We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fresh start with a new HD...

soulboy
Resolved

Likes # 0

So, my last post was asking what to do about my PC freezing and grinding. I have only just formatted the whole disk and re-installed a fresh XPSP3, but considering I've had about 10 years use from the rather bog standard drive, it's no surprise the thing still wants out! I'm happy enough with XP, I use a lot of music production software/hardware that isn't brand new cutting edge shizzle, so the reliability of XP and being used to 'handling' it, has kept me faithful. When I get my new disk tomorrow, and spend a bit more on (cos I want this one to last 30 years not 10 and would like it to be more efficient) then I should install windows 7, right? or can i transfer the whole lot inc. settings and installed software, then upgrade to windows 7? (I'm also running another old-ish internal drive and two external ones. As explained in my previous post, my motherboard chip and ram etc are all quite recent.) A bit of a crossroads....

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

You can transfer all the contents inc programs onto your new hard drive.If you use actonis you can in fact keep all your programs intact for a transfer at any time. The same applies if you install Win 7 install it as an upgrade and it will keep all your programs etc, Personally I would wait with Win 8 expected next year. As per older programs I have found no problems installing them either to Win 7 or the developer preview of Win 8 useing either compability or adminstrater rights. On the later I did find some problems ( also with Win 7 ) with some hardwear drivers. So wold advise running a check before installation

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

As your computer is 7 years old you will need to run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor Click here

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I got an upgrade copy of W7 2 years ago for my 2005(?) Compaq Tower (SR1619UK) with AMD Athlon 3200+.

The computer has 2.5GB RAM these days and runs fine.

I had to replace my printer and cadge a new wireless modem router from AOL because the old ones only had XP drivers.

If you are missing any item's W7 drivers, Vista drivers work in many cases. The upgrade disc will try to find if it has them first (or online if connected)

Fit your new HD as a second drive in the PC or via caddy/USB.

Clone using Acronis (trial/pay) or Easeus Todo (free)

Swap the HDDs over and boot.

You may need to resize the partitions to fill new larger HDD. See Partition Wizard

Like this post
soulboy

Likes # 0

I have fitted the new drive, which was recognised on boot up with a speech bubble in the menu bar, but doesn't show up in My Computer. My old D drive has files on that I will have to access using my new HD. The old one is IDE so will it be compatible? I have the new disk plugged straight in the mother board and the power supply, independent of the IDE drive that I need to utilize. Will i be better off taking the old C drive out completely and replacing it in the 'chain' ?

Like this post
soulboy

Likes # 0

I have fitted the new drive, which was recognised on boot up with a speech bubble in the menu bar, but doesn't show up in My Computer. My old D drive has files on that I will have to access using my new HD. The old one is IDE so will it be compatible? I have the new disk plugged straight in the mother board and the power supply, independent of the IDE drive that I need to utilize. Will i be better off taking the old C drive out completely and replacing it in the 'chain' ?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Look in disk management, the drive probably needs initialising and formatting.

Like this post
soulboy

Likes # 0

I have found the disk in disk management, and it isn't initialised. A wizard popped up asking if i wanted to make it into a dynamic drive. Do I? I basicaslly want to set it up as my new c: drive, to get rid of the old IDE disk eventually, or maybe use it for a bit of storage.

Like this post
soulboy

Likes # 0

and am installing W7 rather than the XPSP3 that I have persevered with.

Like this post
soulboy

Likes # 0

As I try to run the Windows7 disc, an error box says it can't find info on disks. Is that because computer management is open? I don't want to cock it up and soil my new Seagate!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Remove all drives except the new one.

Boot from the windows 7 DVD and follow the prompts to format and install windows 7

shut down refit the old drives set as Slave

reboot into 7 and copy the data across to where you want it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer