We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

DVD drive not working

ronec
Resolved

Likes # 0

I think my dvd drive is/has packed up on my Acer laptop. It is 4 years old. I bought some new blank dvd's recently and tried to burn a film. It would not burn giving reasons like 'No dvd files to burn' even though I had loaded the 'video TS' files. Anyway I decided not to bother burning it and watched it off my computer. This week I burned a couple of cd's with no problem. I tried again today to burn a dvd, but without success. The drive just kept spinning up and stopping, sometimes making buzzing noises. I uninstalled and re-installed the drivers but it still will not write. I have just tried a dvd in it and it will not play. I am presuming it has broken. Does it sound like it has to any of you experts. I have tried 2 or 3 different burning softwares. I am using DVD+R discs which I have used before.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

They use 2 seperate lasers for DC and DVD so it could be just the DVD one that has failed, changing drives in Laptops can be a pain so an external could be the answer, unless you want to give it a go.

Like this post  
ronec

Likes # 0

Hi Strawballs. Thanks for your reply. Sorry I am late replying. Yes I was wondering whether it might be easier to get an external drive. We have another laptop if we need to cart one around. Back to the internet and search for a dvd writer now then. Cheers

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Would be very tempted to go into device manager and uninstall the drive then reboot the machine and let windows find and reinstall the drive, then see if it recognises it as a DVD drive before spending any money.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen