We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Connecting New Home PC to Internet

K*B

Likes # 0

Friends, I have a 4-port wireless modem that brings internet connectivity to my home via a PSTN socket on the wall. I have 2 laptops already connected to the internet through this modem. The laptops run on Vista and Windows 7 respectively. I’ve now got a PC running on Win XP Pro with a wireless NIC. What I want to do is to configure this PC to enable it to connect to the internet too through the modem. How do I go about it? Thanks in advance.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Do you just want to connect to the web or network with the other two machines?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If you want to go wireless, you may need to get a wireless router?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

To connect to an available wireless network

1. Right-click the network connection icon in the notification area, and then click View Available Wireless Networks.

2. In Connect to Wireless Network, under Available Networks, click the wireless network that you want to connect to.

3. If a network key is required for Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP), do one of the following:

•If the network key is automatically provided for you (for example, the key is stored on the wireless network adapter given to you by your administrator), leave Network Key blank. •If the network key is not automatically provided for you, in Network key, type the key.

4. Click Connect.

5. To configure additional wireless network connection settings, or if you are having difficulty making a connection to the wireless network that you selected, click Advanced, and then configure the settings in the Wireless Networks tab.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features