We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Download speeds

Hetti

Likes # 0

Posted Today at 12:03PM

I have just got a new PC Dell Inspiron One with a i7-2600s processor,819mb 133mhz ddr3,2 tb hard drive,1gb nvidia geforce gt52m graphics card with win 7 OS. I have been dissapointed with the speed on this new PC and have been in touch with dell, the agent tested the systen on www.speedtest.net (I think that was the address)my question is I had to download some files I had saved on Virgin media today and I moniterd the progress, it took 25/30 min to download 354MB and the download screen said " 365 kb/sec" my ISP provides me a 30mb speed. Can anyone tell me if the figures I give are what I can expect from 30 MB speed?, as the Dell agent is calling me back on monday to see if Im happy with the PC. I have only my old laptop to compere new one with and to be honest there is no noticeable difference between them. I did contact Virgin also and they said "internet connection is OK it must be your PC" I have run side by side speed tests from the site above and both my husbands and my old laptop came out way above the new one.

Thoughts on this appriecated

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Forgot to say we did reboot router but problem remains.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

buteman Test results from http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ are download 30389 upload 1063 ..... this was at 7.41 sunday morning. I do have the lastest Jave and flash players installed.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

I cannot test other laptop yet as it is in a bedroom and cannot get to it yet

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Im beginning to wish I'd not got this Dell now.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

I would suggest the problem is either your wirless settings in the hub or a conflict with pre loaded programs causing a conflict with others you have installed after your purchase.

Post back with details of what was already installed including trial programs. Then add a list of programs that you have added.

In the meanwhile for your internet I would suggest you use a wired connection untill other issues have been resolved

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Just run test http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/from on 2 year old laptop running win 7 Download speed 27.7mb Upload speed 1mb

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Your download and upload speeds are fine,looks like you are getting the 30Mb that you should do.

When downloading some browsers may be busy so it will take the download longer.

But I see nothing with your speeds to worry about.

If McAfee removal tool was not use when removing it I would use it now.

Just read the instructions for the removal tool.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

Or before you start just type mcAfee into the start search and see what it comes up with.If it comes up with anything for McAfee use the removal tool.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

buteman The post just ahead of your last one are the results for old laptop, my post at 7.44 are results for the Dell pc that has problems, are the results given in 7.44 post accepectable for new pc?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Hetti. It seems clear that there is nothing wrong with your router or connection speed by ethernet cable, nor with the wireless part of the router as your old laptop is fine. I would do a test on the new laptop temporarily connected by ethernet cable to the router, and compare te result with the wireless one. I have a desktop with an ethernet cale to the router and a laptop connected by wireless (n) where the speeds are very close. I think you have a case for claiming that the Goods" (ie the laptop) are not of satisfactory quality and putting the onus on the shop to replace of refund - but you may need a bit of "expert" evidence.

Like this post
kidsis

Likes # 0

Hetti, just a thought: re the wireless card in the new pc, is it n? and does the router run on b/g? I think this can cause problems for people if the new wireless card doesn't automatically change to match the router.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features