We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

That Flaky Amilo Pro Lap top once more

SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Things seem to be moving along a little with this old machine that I am using as an experimental plaything- with perhaps the hope that one day I may get lucky

So this is the latest state of play At switch on - the Fuji Amilo logo comes to screen- followed by the Resuming progress bar[in White out of black] Followed by the Windows start page which then went to black and white with vertical colour fringing around the image We then went BSD- very swiftly [too quick to take in the text] followed by the Safe mode screen Select safe mode and the normal desktop came to screen - but the finger[ad/pointer/up/down keys remained frozen.

Subsequent attempts to restart failed - drive running but nothing to screen

Much later

A clean start as follows

1.Maker Splash screen - OK

2 Windows OK though a long time starting

3 Welcome - OK

4 Desktop OK

5 My computer OK

6 All Programs OK

7 Pointer pad and l/r keys frozen.

8 Attempted to reboot [Crl/Alt/Del]- failed

So what do you think - A system[Windows on hard disk ]glitch- in which case clear disk and start over[or another hard disk] Or a Motherboard/hardware fault- in which case break it for usable parts.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

For your interest the link takes you to the past postings

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

For some reason my apptempt to bive the link ib this post seems to have not got in here is another tryenter">http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/helproom/4082589/dead-fujitsu-siemens--amilo-pro/">enter link description here

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Which system XP Vista?

Sounds like a bad driver to me.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Thank you FB

Win XP Pro is the system.

As I type this it is on drive running nothing happening.

To morrow I will do the following

Connect to External monitor- this on one occasion showed the system whilst the Laptop screen did not work at all

I will move on then to put another hard drive and system in

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

link to other thread

I would attempt to boot to recovery console and do a disk check.

Also worth trying to clean out the grills and fans

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

This set up appears not to have a recovery consol- just a plain disk I queried this with the former owner and told her the machine should have a Windows disk if there is no 'D' recovery sector - she drew a blank. It is possible the repair shop that rejected it for repair may have dissed it in its attempts.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Look at the sticker on the machine is it for XP pro or home?

My guess is someone has loaded pro illegally as it is unlikely that these machines came preloaded with pro.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Put recovery console on a USB stick see hereand boot from it to check / repair the drive / windows installation.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

The back of machine sticker is XP Pro

Will download your suggestion and report back

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite