We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

how best to analyse data

pookie

Likes # 0

Hi

I have windows 7 with Office 2010. Using the Office software eg Excel, is it possible to analayse data to make predictions? For example if the shop in question does a paper based survey of clients and finds that every 3 weeks a 40-50 year olds buys a black dress and spends £50, every 2 days a 20-30 year spends £25 on brown shoes etc is it possible with lots of that data of ages, clothes items etc to predict as best as possible that eg tomorrow a 40 year old will buy a blue shirt. This is not for stock purposes but more for anaylsing clients needs, spending habits etc. I have already put most of the data on a spreadsheet.

Or, do I need new software to do this?

Many thanks

P

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

You could certainly use Excel or Access to track data and create averages, they are both very powerful and specifically designed for juggling numbers and data, but the main restriction would be on your ability to use them to their potential. By tracking details the averages produced could tell you how often a particular event has happened historically, and thus give an indication of a possible repeat, but I can't see how anything can predict the future.

Like this post
pookie

Likes # 0

Thank you. I'll try it on excel and if no good then Access (never used it)

P

Like this post
pookie

Likes # 0

Hi,

It is working fine just using Excel. Do you happen to know if there is a way/formulae to sort data automatically without clicking on sort, smallest to largest etc. For example if column A has values a to z and column B has number values can I set it up some way that columns C and D automtically sort and show the largest number values and their a to z value if I makes changes to column A or B? At the moment I am copying and pasting A and B to other columns and sorting, smalled to largest etc manually.

Kind regards

P

Like this post
Newuser939

Likes # 0

You may find that a pivot table would do what you want, but there is a bit of a learning curve. If you google for how to create a pivot table, you will find several tutorials, but here is one example http://www.contextures.com/CreatePivotTable.html

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

pookie

It is certainly possible to auto sort by a few methods. I could provide some simple VBA that would sort by your favoured columns when anything on the worksheet changes, or when a specific cell changes, or with a button on your sheet that would do a custom sort when clicked, maybe on completion of entry of one row of data. At what point would you want the sheet to sort?

Like this post
pookie

Likes # 0

Thank you. I'll try that

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes