We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Download speeds

Hetti

Likes # 0

I have just got a new PC Dell Inspiron One with a i7-2600s processor,819mb 133mhz ddr3,2 tb hard drive,1gb nvidia geforce gt52m graphics card with win 7 OS. I have been dissapointed with the speed on this new PC and have been in touch with dell, the agent tested the systen on www.speedtest.net (I think that was the address)my question is I had to download some files I had saved on Virgin media today and I moniterd the progress, it took 25/30 min to download 354MB and the download screen said " 365 kb/sec" my ISP provides me a 30mb speed. Can anyone tell me if the figures I give are what I can expect from 30 MB speed?, as the Dell agent is calling me back on monday to see if Im happy with the PC. I have only my old laptop to compere new one with and to be honest there is no noticeable difference between them. I did contact Virgin also and they said "internet connection is OK it must be your PC" I have run side by side speed tests from the site above and both my husbands and my old laptop came out way above the new one.

Thoughts on this appriecated

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

Virgin states the following: Up to 30Mb speed Download a music track in less that 2 seconds5, or a 1.6GB film in under 12 minutes. so it looks like you are down loading 80% less than 1.6GB and taking twice as long over it! Have you tried to see what download speed you are actually getting,try www.thinkbroadband.com It might be as well if you copy your thread and paste it in Helproom or absolute beginners you will get a quicker response

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks