We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Watching laptop on television.

parkhead

Likes # 0

Hello Gurus,

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li1718 laptop which has USB ports but not apparently an HDMI port.

I have a large Technika television which has an HDMI port but no USB port.

1. Can I watch my laptop on television by using a cable with an HDMI connection at one end and a USB connection at the other?

2. If so, will it produce sound on the television?

3. Is it relatively simple to set up?

Many thanks in anticipation of your customary kind assistance.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1.2.3. = No

there is a D-Sub graphics output port rear back left corner you need to connect a VGA cable see from the port to the PC input on the TV view">http://www.squidoo.com/lcdtv2computer&docid=soUwmwqMrC8lvM&imgurl=http://www.frontiernet.net/~terran13/backoflcdtv.jpg&w=500&h=582&ei=XMzQTvaCEIHk4QTr54DnCw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=504&sig=112398968727662178288&page=1&tbnh=120&tbnw=101&start=0&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0&tx=38&ty=71">view of typical connections on a TV

to get audio you also need to connect a 3.5 jack cable from the headphone out socket on the laptop to the audio in jack socket on the TV.

Like this post
parkhead

Likes # 0

Hi Fruitbat,

When I press 'see' I get a cable with two different ends. Is the blue or the black the VGA cable?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

One for fitting into the Computer and the other end for the TV probably.

You would have to check which other fittings you have on the TV for using with a computer.Most modern TV's have one or both.

I have two computers plugged into my TV/Monitor one using HDMI and the other using VGA.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
parkhead

Likes # 0

Fruitbat,

Someone told me "Your notebook does have an external monitor connector, and it has headphone connectors. You should be able to connect the TV via those connections though you still may need an adapter. It appears it also has an S-Video connector to supply video to an external monitor or projector."

Also, my television has what I have detailed below. Does this affect the advice given?

Many thanks as always.

S-VHS Input

SCART 2

Video Input

SCART 1

Audio Inputs

Component Audio Inputs

Audio Line Outs

Component Video Inputs (YpBpr)

Headphone

RF

For Service Use Only

PC Audio Input

Power Cable

CI Slot

HDMI Input

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Sure you do not mean a S vga input ?

My Technika TV 22" has a PC input (blue d sub 15pin) and PC Audio in as stated above.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

for some reason links to pictures of the connections are not appearing correctly on the forum.

Have a read here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund