We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Microsoft Win 7 / Office 2003 problem

PhilipCohen

Likes # 0

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 on new hardware. I am still using MS Word 2003. I have a Word file that I usually have open and regularly update but now after doing only a couple of “saves” Word decided that the file is a “read only” and presents me with the “save as” dialogue; the file is not read only and it is a nuisance having to delete and rename the resulting multiple files all the time. Any ideas of what could be causing this glitch?

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

My Laptop runs Win 7 home premium 64bit and I have office 2003 on it which all runs fine together.

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

PhilipCohen

I have Office 2007, and was just looking in the Help facility regarding the Read only action, and came up with this:- On the Review tab, click Protect Document. Select Restrict Formatting and Editing. In Formatting restrictions, Editing restrictions and Start enforcement, you can make selections that meet your formatting and editing needs.

You may well have something similar in 2003. If so, check the unrestricted access pocket and uncheck all other boxes and see if that helps you at all. Go in the Protect area under Review, or go through your Help facility and type in Read only. It may just have something that will help you.

Good Luck

TonyV

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Maybe uninstall Office 2003 completely and then reinstall. Might just fix it.

Like this post
bgrave

Likes # 0

I had this exact problem but with Microsoft Access (2003). My databases would only open as read only untill I moved them to another partition other than the C drive. Once I done that everything was ok.

Like this post
bgrave

Likes # 0

I had this exact problem when I moved my Access Databases to my new Lap Top (Win7 64bit). I posted the problem on to an Access forum and I was advised to move the database folder to another partition; when I did this it solved the problem.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite