We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Deionized water is this ok for liquid cooling?

Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Hi guys im having a MARE of a time with one of my desktops, ive got a XPS720H2c and i cant figure out how i check the amount of liquid inside the liquid cooling? ive been told i need "Deionized water" for the liquid cooling is this correct? if so where is best place to buy it from as i see the prices are over a tenner for a 1ltr bottle?

Thanks

A

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Probably get it from a car parts shop.

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

buteman thanks il have a look around!

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Deionized water would make sense as it has a lot of impurities removed (that could gunk up your cooling).

Distilled is even better (but more expensive)

25 litres of deionized for £12.25+VAT at gbforklifts.co.uk. Just google for it.

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Batch thanks for the info & reply!

I only need about a litre so i found this lSee Hereink:

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

If your fridge or freezer has a build-up of ice, then you might be able to capture it, let it melt, then bottle it. It's de-ionized water.Costs nothing.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Have a look for deionised water for irons. It may be in your local supermarket.

Like this post
I am Spartacus

Likes # 0

Wilkinson's sell deionised water for 68p a litre. Halfords is about £3.99 for 5 litres. If the unit includes mixed metals i.e. copper and aluminium then you also need an anti-corrosion fluid and 10% anti freeze (Prestone) for car cooling systems works. Adding a tiny amount of copper sulphate available from Wilkinsons as 'King British Green Algae Control' also reduces the risk of algae growth.

However is the unit actually user refillable? If not then it's probably cheaper to put a decent air cooled heatsink on instead.

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

AitchBEE Great idea! thanks but the wife came in with a litre bottle of De ionised water..lol

Woolwell thanks for the input! as stated above the wife walked in with a bottle thanks anyway for your time!

I am Spartacus thanks bud! that sounds over my head tbh! the liquid cooling is sealed BUT im going to have a go at popping one of the pipes off the bath and see what happens...

ITs a system called H2C by Dell

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added