We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Additional 2GB RAM makes no difference

Cluelessone

Likes # 0

Dear Chaps

Ran the Crucial memory check program and bought and added 2 GB to the 1 GB I already have.

In the 4 slots, I now have 2 x 512s & 2 x 1GBs. System Properties shows 3 GB. Problem is there is absolutely no discernible difference in speed.

I obviously did something wrong. Anyone like to say what please?

Running XP on a 3 Ghz P4 Dimension 5150

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 1

Open up Task Manager (CTL+ALT+DEL)and go to the Performance tab and see how much memory is:

a) being recognised.

b) being used / has been used since boot up.

If you still have problems after following Fruit Bat's advice, I suspect that your problems maybe more likely to do with one or more of:

1) Far too much software installed (and kicking off loads of unnecessary processes on boot-up). So uninstall anything you don't need.

2) Malware

3) Failing hard disk (which can seriously slow down a system)

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 1

The relevant figures from Task Manager are:

Physical Memory Total = the amount of physical memory recognised (from what you've said, seems the 3GB is recognised OK) Available = free physical memory. Seems like you are not using that much and maybe you didn't need to upgrade anyhow.

Under Commit Charge heading: Total = your current physical + swap space memory use Peak = your highest (since boot) physical + swap space memory use

It is this last (Peak) one that is of interest, as if the value is below the Physical Total (or rarely goes much above it), then you aren't swapping. And is it stays below around 1048000 (roughly what you had before the upgrade), then the additional memory isn't really adding anything.

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

There is an order that matched pairs of memory need to be installed.

enter link description here

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Matched pairs are preferable, but not crucial (no pun intended).

The link referred to in the posting above actually explains this:-

"DDR2 memory modules should be installed in pairs of matched memory size, speed, and technology. If the DDR2 memory modules are not installed in matched pairs, the computer will continue to operate, but with a slight reduction in performance. See the label on the module to determine the module's capacity."

Like this post
Cluelessone

Likes # 0

Reply to Batch

Total memory 3143756 Available approx 2450000

I have reordered the modules as suggested ie: 1Gb/1GB/512/512. No discernible change.

Kaspersky full scan found practically nothing of interest

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I wonder if Kasperspy is running some sort of scan at startup that is causing the 'slow' problem.

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

If you have a look in msconfig services tab and put a tick in the box there to hide all microsoft services, how many non ms services shown as Running?

Task Manager shows 56 running processes at desktop idle, quite a few for XP, what cpu usage is shown there at desktop idle?

RAM slots, next to 1 is 3, then comes 2 and 4, so matching 1 with 2 and 3 with 4, would look 1Gb, 512, 1Gb, 512.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Do you mean the speed of your programs you have running or the Internet Speed?

What was 'running slow' that decided you to put more ram memory in? (which was a good idea as 1Gb is a bit near the minimum for XP programs to run efficiently)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Here's a couple of tweaks you prob didn't do after putting the new ram in: virtual memory paging file and performance options

Like this post
Cluelessone

Likes # 0

Reply to LOTVIC

Program running speed is slow. (So is internet, but at 100Mbps thats to be expected!)

PC takes over 5 minutes to boot up to "useable" Opening outlook after start takes nearly 2 mins. Itunes about 40 secs My Pictures: 30 secs.

56 processes on task manager(!) 10 at startup: all needed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad