We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

computer running like a old dog!

athenrye

Likes # 0

im reasonably computer savvy, so can do most things... the computer is having sme issues, a couple of crashes and freezing at times, i would normally factory reset and get shot of most stuff

but i have a feeling this time that maybe my graphics card or ram isnt performing to well, is their a programme that can check the hardware running in my pc? or an easy way to check?

thanks

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest http://www.memtest86.com/

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

7. lack of hard drive space / corrupt sectors - run chkdsk

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

Have experienced similar problems on my computer. Event Manager faults almost meaningless in trying to interpret them so gave up on that approach. Device Manager in windows suggested all my drivers were up to date confirmed by running the Intel automatic driver updater from their website which showed no updates required. Getting nowhere and not getting any answers from the PCA Forum I decided to run a program SIW which gives a detailed breakdown of full system on computer. I then noticed a SIW update called AIDA64 Extreme Edition for W7 64bit and tried this program. When I ran it and tried driver updates it launched a website called DriverAgent.com with a free scan to check driver updates and running this gave me a list of 5 drivers which were out of date. Yes youv'e guessed it you had to pay for downloading the program to run them, but armed with the full details of driver descritions I manually trawled the updates out by googling them individually by trial and error. Surprisingly, Intel updates were available on the chipset and graphics driver and audio(realtek)which were not suggested from Intels own website updater or Windows Device Manager. Having run the driver updates I appear to have a stable computer once more. So in answer to this thread it is probably highly likely you are suffering from out of date driver(s). Its just the pain of finding them!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback