We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

reformat card

1st spring

Likes # 0

Could you tell me,. How do I reformat my card that goes into my camera so that I can start afresh, please

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

You will need to reformat the card in the camera.

If you look through the instruction manual it should tell you how format the card.

Like this post
1st spring

Likes # 0

I have Formated the card. (It doesn't say reformat) Yes, there are no pic to be seen. Good but when I checked on the disk i.e by doing a Digital Image Recovery, there they are going back onto my PC. I thought there wouldn't be any pic to go back onto PC

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Formating a flash drive does not completely remove them. A Digital image recovery program is designed to recover lost pictures from a formated flash drive as long as you have not taken any more pictures.

When you take further picture they will over write the original ones preventing them from being recovered.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Hi

Do you just mean that you want to delete your photos from your card? If so you can do this on the camera and you are given the option to do so each time you transfer your photos to your PC. I am not sure why you want to re-format your card.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

The only time you need to to format a card is when an error occurs, i.e. the card for some reason fails, otherwise just delete when you load the photo's to the computer.

If you want to give the camera to someone else and you do not want them to see what is on the card, then remove and destroy the card. New cards are cheap enough to buy.

Terry

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Format and delete is not much different, Format clears the Information at the start of the card and resets it, a bit like a Library that knows where the books are, Deleting just removes parts in that Index above. As above the Pictures are there to be easy to recover if you need to, if not they will be over written by new Pictures or Digital Information while you use the card

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do