We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win XP NTLDR Missing, Repair?

Kilty

Likes # 0

I am trying to repair the NTLDR missing problem. I have a copy of Win XP Home Edition (same as on the broken Packard Bell desktop which is at fault), but when I go into the repair console, it asks for a admin password, although there isn't one set. I have run Orphcrack and this also states no password for admin.

Could this be a problem of trying to repair with a standard XP disc and not the packard bell disc?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

One of the causes can be a corrupt MBR (Master Boot Record), which is hidden on Track 0 of the HDD.

Burn a copy of Partition Wizard Bootable CD on another computer.

Boot it. Select Disc 1 (left click). Rebuild MBR. Apply. Ok/exit etc. Eject CD. Reboot.

You do have all other drives, flash, caddy etc disconnected don't you?

Give that a go.

Like this post
Kilty

Likes # 0

Managed to get into Repair Console and make a repair by using a program to remove the password (even though there wasnt one!!). Now I have windows xp repaired back to no Service Pack, have installed service packs 2 and then 3, but now the USB slots dont work!! Will start a new thread and mark this one solved. Thanks for all the help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers