We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win XP NTLDR Missing, Repair?

Kilty

Likes # 0

I am trying to repair the NTLDR missing problem. I have a copy of Win XP Home Edition (same as on the broken Packard Bell desktop which is at fault), but when I go into the repair console, it asks for a admin password, although there isn't one set. I have run Orphcrack and this also states no password for admin.

Could this be a problem of trying to repair with a standard XP disc and not the packard bell disc?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Have a read through this enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

The XP disc should do it enter link description here

Like this post
Kilty

Likes # 0

Thanks for the quick reply. Will take a look.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

You are asked for the admin password – this is usually blank so just press ENTER to continue

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

More here - probably easier for you enter link description here

Like this post
Kilty

Likes # 0

Tried just pressing enter, no luck.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Follow the instructions from the last link I gave you A to F - it is the 2nd option you want To Repair a Windows Installation Using Recovery Console, Press R’ – press the ‘R’ key now to enter the recovery console

See the warning in between C and D Warning: the first option is ‘To Set Up Windows XP now press Enter’ – you do not want this so do NOT press ENTER. Then follow on from there.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

It takes just one floppy disc,

First format a Floppy disc in XP

Run type Format A: /u

Then open Notepad and copy and Paste this

[boot loader] timeout=-1 default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS [operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, first partition" /sos multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, second partition" /sos multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, third partition" /sos multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, fourth partition" /sos multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, first partition" /sos multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, second partition" /sos multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, third partition" /sos multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, fourth partition" /sos C:\="Previous Operating System on C:\"

Save as

in Notepad as BOOT.INI

Then in search find

NTDETECT.COM NTLDR

Add these to the floppy disc

you can now try starting your computer with the floppy disc

Once computer is started from the floppy you can copy NTLDR from the floppy to the root of C: drive.

Like this post
Kilty

Likes # 0

Tried most things in the list provided, but no success. I do not want to wipe the disc yet, as when I use a caddy the disc seems to work just fine, and I can access all files etc. on the disc.

I wonder if there is any way to get into the repair console? Any other pieces of software that may reveal the password? Could it be a password set by Packard Bell at time of manufacture?

Thanks in advance.

Like this post
Kilty

Likes # 0

I am still struggling to get round this issue, I have tried most ideas mentioned, but still no luck with getting round the password issue. I think if I could get into Recovery console I would be able to solve the issue. Thanks agin for all help given and any more that you may be able to give.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

4G to get faster and cheaper with Freeview spectrum: We're in for a wait though

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy your gadgets at launch: Wait and pick up a bargain

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?