We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

nVidia GTS240 upgrade ( DELL OEM)

Antz

Likes # 0

My dell XPS 8100 (i7 860) based PC is running with an OEM nVidia GTS240 graphics card. The PC uses a Liteon PS6351 PSU 350watt. I need to change out the graphics card as the fan is beginning to fail. I'm trying to get something a little better spec'd that can be matched with the 350Watt PSU. I really can't afford to be upgrading too many components at the moment. I've read that the Radeon HD 5750 may be an option. Does anybody have some words of wisdom?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

For a start you will be changing a Nvidia graphics card to an ATI graphics card which will make any swap just a little more tricky as you will need to remove Nvidia drivers and them install ATI drivers. Not a big deal but it would be easier to remain with Nvidia and just upgrade.

You have not mentioned a budget which would help.

Like this post
Antz

Likes # 0

gengiscant.......first of all , apologies for dual post, had already posted in other forum when I found this one to be more active.

I don't mind swapping out drivers although I have heard that nVidia cards give better results with Flight Sim ( for some reason). My budget is about £100 sterling. I'm not a performance junkie , the only game I play is FSX which is more reliant on CPU than GPU but I would still like to get something decent while I'm at it. I really would like to keep the 350W PSU though as I am a bit stuck for cash at the moment. BTW, there are no addition cards in my case so space doesn't appear to be a problem.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

The power supply might be a stumbling block but I should think that it might be possible to upgrade the PSU,if necessary and the GPU for £100. I'll have a look and get back to you.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

About the best I could come up with is a GTX460 768mb preowned would be a nice step up and would leave enough £ left over to buy a cheapo psu.

Like this post
Antz

Likes # 0

Thanks a million, It does look like I will have to spend a few quid to make my purchase worthwhile. I'm amazed at how little has changed in 2 yrs. The GTS 240 isn't a bad card when you look at the specs compared to other sub £100 cards around at the moment.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer