We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

14 month old Samsung X120

cabottaxi

Likes # 0

For some reason my notebook has crashed. It was freezing when i was surfing the internet and now seems to have literally died.It goes in to the Samsung Recovery start page but won't actually start the programme.I have kept it up to date with all the updates both Samsung / Windows 7 . It is only out of warranty so cant send it back. Any one throw any ideas as to what might be the problem.I'm thinking myself the HD has given up the ghost.If thats the case how do i reinstall a new one as the X120 has no drive?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

As I understand it - the fact that it is just out of warranty as you put it, it could still be eligible for repair depending on how much you paid for it- ie: if it was a few hundred pounds then it is reasonably expected to last longer than your 1 or 2 yr warranty (depending on what it was) You can have a read through here enter link description here in the meantime and maybe someone else will come on and post more information for you.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

If that's the case how do i reinstall a new one as the X120 has no drive? You would have to purchase an external CD/DVD drive - not an expensive item - such as in this selection enter link description here

Like this post
cabottaxi

Likes # 0

Although a computer novice i have found that the computer recognises a hard drive is there. However the problem seems to be that w7 will just not boot up. I was all for replacing the hard drive but i'm wondering if id be better trying to reinstall the operating system first. Any one throw any ideas up ?

Like this post
cabottaxi

Likes # 0

Further to this i have found out the notebook was supplied as a remanufactured unit from a well known high street with a lousy 3 month warranty in October 2010.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Samsung install a restore utility called the Samsung Recovery Solution which can be accessed by pressing F4 on startup. It will perform a complete or partial restore as described How To Restore Your Computer Using Samsung Recovery Solution. Restore disks are provided with the system.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad