We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Backing up portable HDD

puma22
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, firstly apologies as I'm sure that this has been asked before, but I've trawled threads and tried different solutions...

My issue is that I keep all my important documents on a portable HDD so that I can swap between work, home and laptop easily. I have windows 7 as the main PC at home which backs up the PC great, BUT, my issue is that all my important stuff is on the portable.

So, can I set windows 7 to backup my portable HDD or can someone recommend good backup software that will do this (tried various ones but not found one that is easy and seamless)?

Cheers!

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I don't recommend using W7 Backup or it's imaging for either your main computers or portable drives/other devices.

Easeus Todo Backup is excellent. Will allow Partition Images or files&folders Backups. Incremental/Differential backups and scheduling.

Backup to or from your computers to external drives. Doesn't matter for most software (except built-in W7!)

Many people also recommend Allway Sync. It's like Synctoy, except it is supposedly much better (may have a scheduler)

Like this post  
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

edit: Backup to or from your computers & external drives

Like this post
aqaqppoe

Likes # 0

if you plan to uprade HDD to SSD(solid state drive)? i heard SSD is competitve than HDD, and i find a brand Renice SSD by www.b2cit.com, if anyone use the brand? it looks nice with good price and best after service:-)

Like this post
puma22

Likes # 0

Thanks robinofloxley

I think I may have tried easeus before and not got on with it. it was a while ago so will give it another try.
The allway sync is not what I'm looking for - don't need to do this all I want is a backup of what's on the portable in case I lose it or it breaks.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Easeus been updated 2 or 3 times over last months (2.0, 3.0, 3.5 now)

Other alternativess:

Macrium Reflect Free Paragon Backup and Recovery Free Seagate Disc Wizard (free cut down Acronis) if any drive is a Seagate. Acronis WD Edition (free cut down) if any drive is Western digital

Acronis True Image (trial/pay)

If you still don't like Easeus, try Macrium next.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Other alternativess:

Macrium Reflect Free

Paragon Backup and Recovery Free

Seagate Disc Wizard (free cut down Acronis) if any drive is a Seagate.

Acronis WD Edition (free cut down) if any drive is Western digital

Acronis True Image (trial/pay)

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Further Note on Macrium:

I had boot problems tonight and wanted to restore my MBR with W7 SYSTEM boot partition (not my main C:). Should have been a 2 minute job.

I notice that Macrium 5.0 is actually not very user friendly (if you are inexperienced)

It also refused to attempt restore except from CD PE disc. Then the restore failed from that while initializing.

Tried 4 different Images.

Fortunately I had an Easeus Image as well and that went fine.

Very strange. Never had any problems with Macrium 4.2 and earlier.

So I think at this time, my current favourite program is Easeus 3.5

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia