We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Running old W95 software on Windows 7

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi guys

I've installed 'Microsoft Picture It!' on my Windows 7 PC. I've changed the compatibility to 95.

But when I click to run the prog, I get a message that tells me there is not enpough space available on the HD. I have 345GB free. So I went into the files of the programme concerned and found the following...

Out of memory / Disk space messages

Microsoft Picture It! uses space on your hard drive while working to store the large amounts of image data. These temporary files are removed when Picture It! closes. Picture It! checks and warns when less than 30 megabytes of free disk space is available.

Picture It! uses the system's "Temporary" drive setting to determine where these temporary files should be stored. If you receive out of memory/disk space errors under Windows 95, and you have hard drive space available on another drive, check this setting as follows:

1 - From the start menu, choose Run and type "SYSEDIT". Hit Enter

2 - Select the "Autoexec.bat" window

3 - Look for a line that indicates "TMP=" or "TEMP=". If there is one, check that the drive letter and location it points to has free space, or change it to a drive with free space.

(all there is in the 'Autoexec.bat' is...REM Dummy file for NTVDM...which apparently has something to do with 'compatibility')

4 - If there is not a line with "TMP=" or "TEMP=", the default will be the TEMP folder in your Windows directory.

(In c:\Windows\Temp there are 26 files of which twenty are temps. But only this much space is taken up...8.78 MB (9,212,634 bytes))

If you want to set Windows to use another drive for its temporary space, add a line as follows to AUTOEXEC.BAT and save it.

SET TMP= D:\TEMP (e.g. drive and path of new temporary location)

Note: All programs who use temporary files will now write to this new location.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Ok. Back to my 'retracted' one then.

FAT32, set Environmment variables in W7?

Or run W95/98 in a virtual machine?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

1st result in a google of microsoft picture it windows 7.

Have you seen this. Read Explor202's comments in the blogs further down.

Ie Install as W98 compatibility on the setup then W98 on the.exe. Save As doesn't work. Always edit a copy.

He doesn't say if he was using W7 32 or 64. I suspect 32.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

oops link

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi robinofloxley

Thanx for hanging in here.

Thing is I've tried going down the Virtual Drive road already. Albeit using winXP. I have got a copy of Win95, but unfortunately I nolonger have the registery number. That went when I chucked out my old PC carcas. Not to worry thought I thought, I'll use my WinXP disk and did, as I used to use 'Microsoft Picture It!' (MPI) on that too, without a problem.

however, I used VMware to set up my Virtual Drive. It set up Ok, everything went without a hitch. Or so I thought, I checked my Mobo to see if that was compatible, it was. I even managed to install it onto an external drive. What I didn't find out till afterwards, as you also thought about "W7 32 or 64". It doesn't matter it will work on either, there is is a problem though, but it lies elsewhere. it depends on what flavour your Win 7 is. Mine 'Windows 7 Home Premium' is not one of those that it works on! I did get it running in a virtual WinXP drive, but not correctly. It wouldn't have made any difference if I had used the Win95 disk. There were too many hiccups so I shut it down. That's when I stumbled accross the 'Out of Memory' work around.

My question was/is: How much space does the 'Temp' folder hold and can I extend it?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

The TEMP folder can be any size I would have thought and would be automatic.

eg You wouldn't say My Music folder or whatever would be a maximum size. Should just hold whatever it is told to.

In that sense 'extending' has no meaning.

I think the 'Out of Space' error could be caused because TEMP is on a Windows 7 drive which is formatted NTFS. I don't think it eally means Out of Space. It is confused.

W95/98 used FAT32 formatted drives.

That is why I suggested you try pointing TEMP to a FAT32 partition to see if it made any difference. Flash sticks are usually formatted FAT32 (to save messing around creating a FAT32 partition on your hard drive).

I am only guessing at all of this, you know. Most of the results from searching say that 'Picture It' does NOT work under W7.

Just those occasional ones that say "Well I got it working"

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

robinofloxley

Well it used to say the same thing when I was running it on a Win95 PC and also on a WinXP PC too. Even though the Win95 PC had a FAT32 drive? But you weren't to know that.

It would seem that there are limitations...

FAT32 limitations...

Maximum disk size: 2 terabytes

Maximum file size: 4 gigabytes

Maximum number of files on disk: 268,435,437

Maximum number of files in a single folder: 65,534

NTFS or "New Technology File System" introduced with Windows NT, is a completely redesigned file system...

Maximum disk size: 256 terabytes

Maximum file size: 256 terabytes

Maximum number of files on disk: 4,294,967,295

Maximum number of files in a single folder: 4,294,967,295

I don't think this could be the reason for 'Pic It!' telling me that there isn't enough space.

Source: CLICK HERE

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Thanks, I did know about FAT32 limitations, but didn't think they were applicable in this case.

Are you any further forward in your quest?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

robinofloxley

"Are you any further forward in your quest?"

Not really, although here's something strange, see what you make of this? I have two other, older PC's that were given to me, instead of being taken to the dump. I have got them running and installed WinXP on both. As I already said, before I got my new Win 7 PC I used to run a PC with WinXP. Which I'd installed Pic It! and it ran successfully, apart from the lack of memory problem.

Anyway, I installed Pic It! on the two old PC's with WinXP OS. But the strange thing is, although the programme runs there is one important thing (to me) that it can't do anymore? It has lost the ability to be able to fine spray with the airbrush?! I just don't get it, everything else is fine. I used to use that function constantly, but now it nolonger works?

I think I'll eventually just put it on

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more