We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

i3/i5 or AMD Quad Core 6

SweetBriar

Likes # 0

Hi

My laptop is dying, and I need another one fast. Have always gone for Intel, but just seen one in my price range with AMD Quad Core 6 - this is clocked (as far as my limited tech knowledge goes!) at 1.6Ghz whilst the i3/i5 are at 2.4-2.5

Would there be any appreciable difference in performance for a fairly advanced, heavy but technically ignorant home user? (Surfing, music, some video watching but not serious gaming or clever multi-media stuff) I might add that the one with the AMD one (HP DV6-6102SA) has a massive 750 GB hard drive.

Any advice? My current Lenovo has been a bitter disappointment and I can't afford to make another mistake :(

Cheers

Rose

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 1

Both systems will serve your purpose nicely but personally I'll prefer the Intel i3/i5 system.

Of course it'll all depend on your budget too.

Like this post
SweetBriar

Likes # 0

Thanks for that - price is roughly the same, although the HP (with the AMD) has a few more bells and whistles - like USB 3 - but I know I tend to be seduced by trimmings! Need to get the basics right - I've cream-crackered this Lenovo, I suspect! Just hoping it doesn't "die" before I can replace :(

Cheers

Rose

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone