We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Kindle wifi only

GrannyA

Likes # 0

Sorry it's me again. I was just about to buy the Kindle 3G wifi as a present for my husband and find Amazon has come up with a wifi only at much less cost - £89 against £156. What does one lose? Would it mean not being able to access emails except at home? Sounds really good but ....

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

The WI-FI version only connects at home through your Router. The 3G version allows you to use anywhere ie: like a mobile phone (great if you are on the move)

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Kindle (Wi-Fi) is a great choice if you already have a high-speed internet connection and wireless router setup at home, and do not want the added convenience of a 3G connection which enables you to download books anytime, anywhere on the go. If you do not have Wi-Fi setup in your home, Kindle 3G would be a better option.

Kindle 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) is the easiest option because there is no wireless setup—you are ready to shop, purchase, and read right out of the box. Built-in Free 3G connectivity uses the same wireless signals that cell phones use, but there are no monthly fees or commitments—Amazon pays for Kindle’s 3G wireless connectivity. The added convenience of 3G enables you to download books anytime, anywhere on the go—without having to find a Wi-Fi hotspot connection. With wireless coverage in over 100 countries and territories, Kindle 3G is a great option for travelers.enter link description here Scroll down for more on comparisons.

Like this post
GrannyA

Likes # 0

Thank you so much northumbria61. The 3G may have to be the choice I think as he reads all the tims and we travel (or I could make/get him to download a few at a time!The saving would buy a lot of books.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I should have added that I purchased one for my wife last Christmas - the one that has been regularly advertised on TV at £109 (now £111 I believe) It is the WI-FI version only as she only uses it at home. I haven't seen the new one at £89 but the last link I sent you shows you the differences - ie: the 3G and Wi-Fi has a keyboard - the £89 version has a 5 way controller and not sure but I think it may have on-screen keyboard.

It is an excellent e-book reader and very soothing on the eyes as it is not back-lit and the text is just as if you were reading a real book.

Have a good read of all the features and comparisons. I can thoroughly recommend the Amazon Kindle - who knows, you may be able to do away with that bookcase ! It could be a good Christmas for your husband - I am sure he will be delighted.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow