We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

4:3 monitor

Lightman
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm looking for a 17" or 19" monitor for my camera club - so far, so easy; but the problem is I'd like one in 4:3 format to replicate the images produced by our digital projector. The monitor is basically to act as a duplicate of the projection screen hence the need for 4:3. needless to say we don't want to spend a fortune, any ideas?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Shop around and you will probably get one cheaper.

Free delivery from E-Buyer.

http://www.ebuyer.com/205495-samsung-syncmaster-e1920nr-4-3-lcd-tft-19-vga-monitor-ls19clasb-en?utmsource=google&utmmedium=products

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

You could take a look at used ones on ebay. There's quite a number available as so many are switching to widescreen.

If you are prepared to go and pick one up and somebody nearby is selling but not prerpared to ship, you can get a real bargain as the number of punters for these tends to be quite low. For example, I picked up a very decent Lenovo 19" for £13.50 a few moths ago.

BTW, you'll find a lot of what people think are 4:3 are in fact 5:4.

Like this post
Lightman

Likes # 0

I have noticed the confusion between 4: and 5:4, seems quite common. samsung appear to do one that, although its not 4:3 is, in their words, intelligent and shows the screen image in the proportions required.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Just wonder if a 4:3 monitor is a must. We can change our projector to 16:9. I can also change from the native resolution on the laptop screen to match the projector resolution.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

A selection on ebay:

ebay 19" auctions

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

The received wisdom is that you should always project/display in the native resolution of the source material. For sure, you wouldn't want to show 4:3 source in 16:9 aspect ratio, as it will be distorted. That said, any half way decent projector or display will show the original source either with black bits down the sides (4:3 on a 16:9 screen) or letterboxed (16:9 on a 4:3 screen). A 16:9 screen would work for the OP if he/his club were prepared for the fact that the displayed image didn't occupy all of the screen real estate.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks