We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Huge variance in BB speed

nick_j007

Likes # 0

Hi all. Have been struggling with my BB speeds for a couple of months now. BT engineers have been out twice, made a wiring change and checked my line to be told all is good. I'm running XP on a hard wired up to date (ish) Dell Dimension 9150. I'm plugged into the main socket about three meters away.

My ISP is Orange and they have been badgering BT to sort my speeds out for me. My speed had returned really well and I was receiving about 4 Megs which for my exchange is good.

A record of my speeds can be seen here: http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=f7c8314e25fc812fc17da28ba7e9b616&ria=0

For the last week it's been pretty strong, albeit fading again gradually to this morning whereby I could barely send an email.

Up until now I have been convinced everything my end is good and working fine and the problem is outside of the home. However for the second time in about 10 days I have done a factory reset to the new router a Belkin F7D4402 v1. (Latest firmware on it).

After I did a restart today my speeds shot back up to about 6 meg again! Why would this be? I saw similar improvements last week when I did a factory reset then.

So it seems that factory resets seem to resolve my speed. Might it be a channel issue? It's set to 'Auto' currently.

Thank you.

Nick

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

It could be that, despite the BT visits, there is still a fault on the line. As I understand it, the kit in the exchange will gradually back off the speed over a period of days if it senses there are problems. If what I believe is true, resetting the router when speed has fallen will start the sequence all over again.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

P.S. if you Google ADSL Training Period, there is a huge amount of info, but basically comes down to what I suggested.

Like this post
nick_j007

Likes # 0

Thank you for that. Fits in with some info I was given by engineer. I would like for it to be a problem in the house as at least I can (attempt) to address it here and now!

If an exchange issue then I'm back to square one slogging it out with Orange and BT which has got me nowhere in 8 weeks!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If you have extension wiring, remove the faceplate of the master socket, and plug the filter into the socket within the master. That will eliminate internal wiring,if the speed remains good, or prove there is a fault with that wiring if the speed still drops

Like this post
nick_j007

Likes # 0

Ok will try that thank you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide