We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Outlook/mail merge for labels

Cara2

Likes # 0

Am following step by step wizard, starting from Word 2007, using Mail Merge wizard and data from my Contacts list.

Can follow steps, but must be omitting a stage as when I merge as the pages are blank.

Anything obvious spring to mind? I am really irritated with myself repeating the process but ending up with a blank page!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Have you clicked on update labels?

Like this post
Cara2

Likes # 0

Previous to 'update labels' I have two lines of data, 2nd line is home address. At this point the full name and address is not shown.

Then I press 'update lables' - label reverts to one line of data.

Preview lables shows no data at all?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I suspect that you need to go back to the data source stage. When selecting Outlook contacts did you also choose the contacts folder?

Like this post
Cara2

Likes # 0

Yes, have selected contact folder. At this stage all contacts are displayed and I choose a field to include. The full name and address are displayed.

I get to the stage where 'Next Record' and 'Address Block' are shown, then I press update all lables. 'Address Block' disappears and thereafter no names and addresses are shown.

At this stage it would have been faster to handwrite all the labels!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I cannot replicate that. However in the back of my mind is a problem I had that was not too different to yours and as a long shot try on the View tab choosing web layout and see if the address block appears and then go back to print layout.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I cannot replicate that. However in the back of my mind is a problem I had that was not too different to yours and as a long shot try on the View tab choosing web layout and see if the address block appears and then go back to print layout.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Sorry about the double post - no idea how that happened.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Instead of choosing address block put in the fields for first name, surname and then a line break followed by address line 1, address line 2 etc. Then press the update labels button. It also helps to Preview results before going to the merge.

Like this post
Cara2

Likes # 0

Thanks for suggestions - I will give it a go.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If it helps this is how I do it in Word 2003. I have the Mail Merge toolbar showing and click on:

'Main document setup' | 'Open Data Source' | 'Mail Merge Recipients' | 'Insert Address Block' popup box and click on 'Match Fields' at bottom and choose the fields you want | 'View Merged Data' (this will only show record 1 in top left label) | 'Propagate Labels' (which fills sheet 1, section 1) | Click on 'Merge to New Document' and in the pop up box choose 'All'

A new Window opens with a new document created showing ALL the names and addresses. New document shows at bottom as Page 1, Sec 1, 1/4 (or however many sections are needed for the number of sheets of labels you need - each section is a separate page of labels)

I can now save my new document as an ordinary word .doc and print them whenever I want.

I don't bother saving the 1st document that I did all the planning on as I now have the label sheets that I wanted.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good