We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

personal information while using gmail on a company's network

templar_knight

Likes # 0

Hi all,

When I use gmail on my company's network, is it possible for our IT department to view the email if they wanted to? I always thought that the mail was secure as I was using gmail and not outlook which obviously can be accessed easily by the IT staff - if they wanted to.

Is there a way to get around this?

Thanks, tk

Like this post
recap

Likes # 1

Firstly, you need to be aware of your companies Internet policy, the use of personal email accounts like gmail may not be allowed.

Secondly, your IT department can track your activity on the Internet to the millisecond with links to all pages used. Whether they can read your gmail I'm not 100% sure but they will know you have been in it. So I'll refer you back to my first point.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 1

If you want to send or receive emails which are personal, confidential or sensitive, then don't do it from a work PC or network. Period!

Like this post
templar_knight

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply recap.

My company's internet policy doesn't prohibit use of personal email. Gmail is allowed and used by employees.

My question was more like if they could read my gmail posts. I have been using the company network for this but will move to using an alternate method ... personal phone etc.

Also thanks mgmcc for the reply. Will keep in mind.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features