We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

help needed for slow pc problems

mikeyboy32

Likes # 0

hi, i'm using windows xp and it has been going a lot slower than usual for a while now. i've been using both firefox and google chrome and both are terrible for instance playing youtube videos. my pc also has sometimes switched itself off and rebooted itself. flash player is updated so that isnt the problem. can someone please help me out as if its something to do with registry for instance i havent messed about with that as i'm a novice.

anybody help? thanks, mikeyboy.

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

I would try and reduce the cpu usage when the pc is idle, that bouncing between 5-32% needs sorting out, is that when you have started the Chrome browser ?

If you just switch the pc on and don't open any programs, what does Task Manager say the cpu usage is then?

Is the high cpu usage only when you open web browsers, or does it bounce around with other programs running?

What about Internet Explorer, does that give high cpu usage, or if you right click on the IE icon on desktop and select start with out add ons does it run any better?

Was reading this article about having a reasonable percentage of free space and pagefile fragmentation.

enter link description here

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

Also might be worth having a quick look to see if your primary ide channel is running in DMA mode and hasn't reverted to the slower PIO mode, which can be a possible reason for a sluggish hard drive.

Like this post
PcTestCard.co.uk

Likes # 0

I would suggest the following:

1. reset the mobo BIOS default,
  2. scan the HDD for error by using the chkdsk C: /r command and
  3. check if there is any fan stop or slow down by the clouded dust or any parts like CPU VGA HDD or chipset got overheated.

Hope this helps! Bill

Like this post
mikeyboy32

Likes # 0

les28- thanks for the advice. cpu showing some weird things. usuage at idle after startup was going between anyhting from 5% to 40% back to 2% then 100% and back again!

when i started firefox its going from 18% to 90% and anything in between.

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

Just to recap, msconfig startup how many items ticked? Is it just the four you mentioned earlier or more?

Did you do a page file defrag and what does the result show in windows defragger if you did, 411 fragments?

When pc is idle at desktop, can you notice any particular item in task manager processes tab using high cpu%

Have a look in msconfig again, this time look at the services tab, not the startup tab. Put a tick in the box to hide all microsoft services, how many non microsoft services are shown as Running?

Have a look in windows event viewer, into a Run box type eventvwr and click OK. In the narrow left hand window of EV if you click once on Application and later on System, in the right hand pane look for any red errors there that happen regularly, if so double click on them to show more details.

Have you ran a disk error check as mentioned by Bill and checked for dust blocking cooling vanes and fans etc.

Your pc primary ide channel is running in DMA and not PIO mode, did you check?

Like this post
mikeyboy32

Likes # 0

startup tab - still 4 - avast, kies pdle, kies helper, google update.

services tab - there are 10 non microsoft items running - apple mobile device, avast, bonjour service, cdma device service, flipshare service, fsusbexservice, java quick starter, nmsaccesu, rapport management services, service layer.

under taskmge the programs using most up are - firefox 117k , svchost.exe 20k, explorer 22k, kiespdlr.exe 25k, plugin container 32k, rapportservice 11k.

i did a page file defrag and its now showing 30 (down from 411).

on event viewer theres the following showing as red x's :-

service control manager (x2 times) dcom (x12 times)

fastfat x4 (yellow warning not red) tcpip x 3 (yellow warning not red)

i havent yet done the error checking scan as per bill's post. i've just started that now.

let me know what you think of the above?

Like this post
mikeyboy32

Likes # 0

just fninshed the error checking scan as per bill. and can confirm the pc primary ide channel is in DMA MODE (ULTRA dma MODE 5).

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

When pc is idle at desktop, can you notice any particular item in task manager processes tab using high cpu% - you sent results showing memory usage of items in Kb, not high cpu% using items.

Might be an idea to download Process Explorer it's a standalone application and doesn't install itself into your all program files, just unzip it into a new folder. It's perhaps easier to see what's using cpu% better than Task Manager.

Everything looking OK in Device Manager? In a Run box type sysdm.cpl and click OK, click on the Hardware tab of the System Properties box, then click on Device Manager button. Everything look OK no yellow warnings showing?

Also if you start the pc up in safe mode what cpu usage does task manager show then if you let it run in safe mode for a while? Usually keep tapping F8 key rapidly after switching pc on, then select from menu Safe Mode.

Briefly looking at the non ms services, obviously Avast must be left to run.

The bank security program Rapport has had bad press for causing problems with some people, my bank offers it to me online, but I've never installed it, it maybe one to think about uninstalling for a trial period. Check out online the correct uninstall procedure if you think of a trial time without it.

The Flipshare service is finsihing in a year or so isn't it, do you use the service to upload Flip videos to the web service, or did it just install itself with any Flip software?

Java Quick Start I've switched off, but that's up to the individual

Best way to have a look at services is in a Run box type services.msc and click OK. In the services box are mostly windows services running, all part of the operating system, so leave them alone, but amongst them in alphabetical order are the non ms services. Double clicking on any service gives more details about them, the Path to executable box-usually shows more details, don't alter any services configuration in the Services panel however.

Have a look in services who Bonjour belongs to, I think it's I Tunes, probably not needed, but I think I'd start with Rapport.

UDMA 5 is OK.

Like this post
mikeyboy32

Likes # 0

looking at the cpu % on device manager, it's showing system idle cpu between 85-95%. nothing else using much at all couple of things at 1 or 3%.

i've uninstalled rapport and stoped java quick start.

re device manager i've clicked on what you've advised but dont know where to look for any yellow warnings?

Like this post
mikeyboy32

Likes # 0

good news les28,

since i uninstalled rapport and stoped java quick start, things are running smoother.

cpu at idle is 98% steady. 2% used on wmiprvse.com (network service).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...