We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

help needed for slow pc problems

mikeyboy32

Likes # 0

hi, i'm using windows xp and it has been going a lot slower than usual for a while now. i've been using both firefox and google chrome and both are terrible for instance playing youtube videos. my pc also has sometimes switched itself off and rebooted itself. flash player is updated so that isnt the problem. can someone please help me out as if its something to do with registry for instance i havent messed about with that as i'm a novice.

anybody help? thanks, mikeyboy.

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

I have a few items running in msconfig apart from Avast, things like my Tom Tom sat nav program, even though I don't update the sat nav that often, so no need to go overboard stopping things running in msconfig that you use reasonably often.

Information on the Samsung items

enter link description here

Updaters like Google I personally usually stop, but once again that's up to the individual, looking at this it didn't seem as if they wanted it stopped easily. Would be nice to be given the option to switch off.

Any increase in performance yet, I don't suppose you've been able to run windows defrag with having low free space, any chance of running it yet? Might be worth checking that the page file is not fragmented with running low on space.

Like this post
mikeyboy32

Likes # 0

thanks les28, i'm just getting rid of some files from my hard drive to an external one at the moment. once that is done will defrag then see what happens.

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

Might be worth checking to see if the page file is fragmented, windows defragger will not defrag the page file if it is fragmented, have to use a third party defragger or something like the free PageDefrag it probably won't be fragmented but worth checking.

Open windows defragger program, highlight C drive and click Analyze (Not Defrag) button, then click View Report, scroll down the Volume Information window to Pagefile fragmentation, Total fragments, how many? Should be ideally 1.

Like this post
mikeyboy32

Likes # 0

les28, i've just done the analyze on defraggler, but it is not showing 'report' option anywhere. i looked on 'file list' and couldnt find pagefile anywhere. am i looking in the right place?

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

I was talking about windows own defragger, not the defraggler program.

Like this post
mikeyboy32

Likes # 0

sorry les28, i didnt use the windows defragger. i have now used the correct one and looked at the report. pagefile fragmentation is 411. i take it this needs to be sorted out. what next please les?

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

How much free hard drive space now?

How many processes running in Task Manager and what is CPU Usage% when pc is idle at desktop, is it still 60%, and what is using most CPU %.

Normally System Idle Process in the Processes tab list in Task Manager runs in the high 90%'s meaning the cpu is not under pressure.

Incidentally you are not using a laptop and using the hibernate feature are you? That will use free hard drive space up.

You talked about using an external drive to move data to, just check when that drive is plugged in and running that XP doesn't try to monitor the drive for system restore purposes.

Several ways to defrag the page file, so that one contiguous area of the hard drive is reserved for the page file. You can delete the page file and then let it recreate itself or use a program like PageDefrag to defrag it at boot time.

This explains about it and where to download it, however it might be an idea to make sure you maximise your free space first and attempt a normal defrag

Like this post
mikeyboy32

Likes # 0

got it up to 8gb free on hard drive now.

43 processes running, cpu usage keeps moving from 5% - 32%.

chrome is using most %.

i've also just done a normal defrag. not done the pagedefrag one yet.

does the above look ok to you? shall i do pagedefrag now?

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

1.25 G Ram ? Are you able to upgrade the Ram memory to 2Gb or even 3 Gb ? I am sure that would help as well as creating more free space on hard drive.

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

I'm running Firefox and it's not using any cpu%. It is using nearly 140Mb of RAM but no cpu strain

How about switching Chrome off and opening another web browser, IE or Firefox and check CPU usage% with them. Think I'd be uninstalling Chrome.

I only have 1Gb of RAM with XP, no problems. More RAM if system managed would increase the page file and reduce free space.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...