We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Information on backup programmes

Housten

Likes # 0

Good Afternoon,

I have been trying out various backup programmes on my computer, especially after I had bought a Seagate 500 GB portable computer, and they include a cut-down version of Acronis which seemed to do the backup quite quickly. This was of my 'C' partion, only about 44 GB. In the end I bought Version 2011 from them as Seagate had not included differential or Incremental backups in their version. However a few days later I was offered Version 2012 of Acronis True Image Home for free as I had just bought 2011. We - that is Acronis staff and I - have spent something like 3 months trying to sort it out. NO go. I mean I only wanted it to do the backup in under 40 - or better 30 minutes - but the final straw was when it appeared to have done less than half and the remaining time was shown as one day and 41 minutes!! So I have tried some others since but the one I have been impressed with is Macrium Reflect Free. The programme can do a full back up - on my computer - in less than 24 minutes. Exactly what I want? Well almost!! To get either Differential or Incremental backups it is necessary to buy the whole thing. So what I am hoping is that someone knows a programme - preferably free - that is as fast as Macrium AND which also does Differential/Incremental backups. If the worst comes to the worst then I will have to buy Macrium but I do somewhat resent having to buy the whole programme when they release most of it for free but fail to include a very small part of it that - as far as I am concerned anyway - would make a vast difference.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

cocteau48,

Yes, I did - eventually - get the refund. Because I got 2012 as a free upgrade they wanted ALL the purchase details when they said I could have the refund. When I managed to get them 2011 purchase details they then turned down the refund!!! After going after them I eventually persuaded the bloke that I had been given the 2012 because I had so recently purchased the 2011. This then enabled me to get a refund. I was, actually, refunded the same in dollars not pounds and as the dollar had fallen - marginally - against the pound I got back an extra 65p. Certainly not worth it, I don't care how many pages of changes/errors/mistakes they list I wouldn't touch them with your bargepole never mind mine and can only suggest that anyone contemplating a purchase be very, very wary.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

All these Times to do a Back-up are irrelevant.

Primarily because you are not comparing like with like.

Firstly: The actual USB Connection. Not all USB2 Connections operate at the same speed, let alone USB1 and 3.

Secondly: The rotational speeds of the 2 Hard Drives involved.

Thirdly: The Number, Type and Volume of Files involved.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

wee eddie,

I take your point, but to make certain in my own mind the time taken by each I used the same portable hard drive connected to the same USB port. So I am certain that the conditions were identical - it was just the programmes that were different.

All I want is a programme that will do a fast backup - which I will do at the start of the month - and then differential backup weekly thereafter. This seems impossible, but Macrium does come closest and at just over 23 minutes for a full backup it is not too tardy!! I will continue with the free version for a few more weeks - also to see if there is a programme that does what I want - but I will then, probably, buy it. It has the speed - and I know I am being sad about this point - and this means I can go get a cup of coffee and come back to my computer and the backup is done! I am hoping this will continue and the paid for version IS the same!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad