We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

willl this work

//adz_w///

Likes # 0

im thinking of getting this http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/packard-bell-easynote-tm98-gn-030uk-refurbished-15-6-laptop-08616478-pdt.html but im thinking of changing the hard drive from a 320 to a 500 gb SATA will it work ?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Yes - the current drive is SATA so should be no problem. You will need to clone the current drive to the new one unless you are doing a complete re-install from scratch.

Like this post
//adz_w///

Likes # 0

urm ive never cloned a drive before on my own only with my tutor unless i just reinstall it ill need to think

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

When you buy the new hard drive you can download the software you need to clone from the drive makers site I think they all do it.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

If you clone your old hard drive to your new one you will need a USB External Caddy/Enclosure such as this enter link description here

The new drive is fitted into this enclosure. You would have to download a software cloning program to the old hard drive, many of which are free, and this would do a complete copy (CLONE) of everything on your old drive, including your Operating System to your new drive. You then remove the old hard drive from your laptop and replace it with the new hard drive from the enclosure.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Did you shop around? Must it be white?

Comet and Laskys got new PACKARD BELL TS11-HR-038UK Laptops with 1TB HDDs as standard. (£399)

HDDs are a fortune at the moment due to Thailand.

Sorry I just thought your choice looked ordinary unless I missed something? So I did a quick Google for other Easynotes.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

The LINK I have given you above for the Hard Drive Enclosure is one I have myself - it is quite sturdy - looks like black plastic but is actually metal. I have just recently done a HDD Upgrade (160GB to 500GB) for a friends laptop which took just over 2hrs.

If as you say this is a refurb then it should only have the OS on it and maybe a few free programs installed so shouldn't take long to clone.

The choice is yours - unless you prefer a CLEAN install.

Like this post
//adz_w///

Likes # 0

what's the link to the one you suggested with the 1 TB HDD , no i didn't shop about just looked on pc world i liked the white i dunno why i know it looks like cheap plastic but still i might go for tbat as its only £20 ish more

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Like this post
//adz_w///

Likes # 0

yeah i found it i dont know which one to get now haha whats you suggestion?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Don't ask me(?). I don't normally post in on these recommendation threads.

Personally I would spend the extra (also 4GB not 3GB) And it's NOT PC World.

Of course I only Googled Easynotes. There may be loads of other good deals around.

(Thanks for link repost Northumbria, I was eating my supper)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch the Windows 9 launch event: no live video stream so catch our Windows 9 launch live...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK